Seeking Advice for Home Gym Audio Setup

TheRealOC

TheRealOC

Junior Audioholic
Morning folks,

I've just finished building a gym space with dimensions of 30x18 feet and ceilings at about 12-13 feet high. Inside, there’s a 6x9 feet bathroom (northeast corner), and the space is equipped with a squat rack, plate tree, bench, dumbbells, rower, bike, kettlebells, and a step. There's also a TV attached to an Apple TV mounted on the wall for doing spin classes etc etc

1712565632008.png
1.png
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG

The main goal is to stream music directly from my phone, with Spotify or YouTube Music being my go-to services. I’m not looking to play CDs or use other sources at the moment. There are plenty of power outlets available, and I have good Wi-Fi coverage throughout the gym, alongside two Ethernet ports near the TV (one is currently used by the Apple TV). Right now, I'm just using a Google Mini (Nest) speaker for music, which is pretty meh. There's about 100 feet of distance between the gym and our neighbours so it can get pretty loud.

Considering the space's dimensions and the existing equipment, I’m would be grateful for any advice on:

Speaker Placement: What would be the optimal placement for speakers in this space to ensure good sound coverage without interfering with gym activities?

Speaker Choice: Given I’m open to second-hand options, are there specific brands or models you recommend that deliver good quality without breaking the bank?

Saving Tips: Any tips on how to save on the setup? I'm pretty much broke at the moment after finishing this xD

Streaming Methods: Since I plan to stream from my phone, do I need a separate music streamer, or can I make do with my existing setup (phone, Wi-Fi/Ethernet, Apple TV)?

Amplification Needs: Considering the streaming method and the speaker choices, what kind of amplification should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any help, very much appreciated.
-Ollie

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Powered monitors of some sort that also have bt and/or wifi built in perhaps?

I would peruse shady's and Erin's reviews of such speakers. I think Erin favorably reviewed the Klipsch Nines, for example. Or maybe you could piece something together more inexpensively, e.g. some JBL308P and an inexpensive bt device to feed them.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The acoustics in a gym space are usually not great, so I wouldn't spend a lot getting some really fancy speakers. Many of the good speakers with built-in amplification and wireless connectivity tend to be somewhat pricey, like from Klipsch, SVS, and Dali.

Maybe get something like the Arylic Bluetooth amp and a pair of passive speakers. The HECO Aurora 200s are probably very good, and they are not expensive. You can add a sub to the Arylic pretty easily if you want more bass.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis