Seeking A/V Receiver with RF (radio frequency) Technology

D

debsterh

Audiophyte
Our A/V Receiver and all our components are behind a dark glass cabinet door. We no longer wish to use IR blasters with our rf remote to operate our devices as this has not been optimal (been using the latest Harmony remote).
I can't believe how hard it is to find a new A/V Receiver that uses an RF remote. Does anyone know of some receivers that use RF?
I'm also looking at HDMI CEC and eARC technology to see if that might work for me to simply use my Smart TV's remote control to control all devices seamlessly. I'd like to hear feedback if anyone has experience with this to see if it really works that way.
I'm also open if you have any other suggestions on controlling our devices through dark glass.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
IR repeaters and RF have been used for years to control products. It is pretty much an industry standard and should work almost perfectly within a setup. I can't speak to any manufacturers that have moved to RF, and I would rail against them because you LOSE the capability of using a proper universal remote when they use proprietary RF channels to control a device. I've seen some specific devices that are entirely RF (nVidia Shield TV) and people online complain constantly about the lack of basic integration control.

So, you would put down your universal remote for a whole bunch of remotes sitting on the table.

I would, instead, look for solutions as to what may be wrong with your current setup.

I know my IR/RS232/Ethernet setup works darn near next to flawlessly every day of the year. But, I don't use a single IR 'BLASTER' I used small IR emitters that are placed on the face of many of the devices I am controlling and they offer very specific and local control to that device exclusively when it is needed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
IR repeaters and RF have been used for years to control products. It is pretty much an industry standard and should work almost perfectly within a setup. I can't speak to any manufacturers that have moved to RF, and I would rail against them because you LOSE the capability of using a proper universal remote when they use proprietary RF channels to control a device. I've seen some specific devices that are entirely RF (nVidia Shield TV) and people online complain constantly about the lack of basic integration control.

So, you would put down your universal remote for a whole bunch of remotes sitting on the table.

I would, instead, look for solutions as to what may be wrong with your current setup.

I know my IR/RS232/Ethernet setup works darn near next to flawlessly every day of the year. But, I don't use a single IR 'BLASTER' I used small IR emitters that are placed on the face of many of the devices I am controlling and they offer very specific and local control to that device exclusively when it is needed.
I have never really liked IR remotes. They are so dependent on line of sight and to me glitch prone.

I think there is a move to RF starting. My new LG OLED's remote is RF and I much prefer it. My HTPCs both work from a Logitec RF keyboards and those are secure definite connections.

Comcast have now gone to RF, which is a very good thing, as you can keep their boxes out of sight. All three of my boxes from Comcast do not have line of sight and the RF remotes work perfectly.

I personally hope we see the move away from IR. I much prefer RF it gives far better and more definite control.
and much more freedom in installation. I personally have never been tempted to buy a universal remote. I really wish my pre/pro had and RF and not an IR remote. It is off to the side and I have to lean forward and stretch out my arm to get it to accept commands. It will not work from the rear seats, where I usually sit when we have visitors.

As far as I'm concerned IR remotes need to go on the ash bin of history.

D

debsterh

Audiophyte

I am using the IR blaster with individual emitters for each component. It's just not reliable and the delay is very long. Do you have any experience using ARC technology to control all the components with the TV remote?
I turned on the functionality of it on my Sharp TV and Denon Receiver yesterday and it's communicating perfectly and allowing me to use the TV remote and yet have surround sound controlled with the TV remote. I just can't figure out how to get it to control my Direct TV box. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What is really required is a control system via the home's Ethernet. All these units now have an ethernet port.

So what is required is a protocol for phones and tablets.

This should have a picture of all you devices and connections. The you would tap what you want to connect with what. Then once up and running tap a unit to bring up it controls and tap the control you want.

This should not be difficult and be perfect for all customers and integraters.

IR control is just not up to it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis