Seek advice for video improvement

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I have a DVD, TV reciever, xbox and VCR (wife wont give up her VHS collection). I just baught an 42" HD panasonic plasma and was wondering if there is a good processer that I can plug all of of my video equipment into and have one output (maybe DMI or something) which goes to my plasma.

Is there a processor that will actually increasethe video quality of the things plugged into it?

Thanks a bunch...I have been considering to buy this, but not sure if its what I need http://www/dvdo.com

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
good point. I already have a denon 1803 and there is no DVI output on it, and I was under the impressions that was the best output to use. Plus would a better reciever actually incease the quality of the video components plugged into it? Would like to stay with denon..can you recomend one that would do the trick?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Vancouver said:
good point. I already have a denon 1803 and there is no DVI output on it, and I was under the impressions that was the best output to use. Plus would a better reciever actually incease the quality of the video components plugged into it? Would like to stay with denon..can you recomend one that would do the trick?

To use the benefits of DVI, you need such a signal to begin with and a TV that will work with DVI signal. Your plasma may be one.

The video from the Xbot and VHS do not generate those signals and doubt it you can convert on the cheap.
Maybe you can run a DVI direct from a DVD player and a regular video from the receiver, if the plasma has two video in and selector.

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
To use the benefits of DVI, you need such a signal to begin with and a TV that will work with DVI signal. Your plasma may be one.

The video from the Xbot and VHS do not generate those signals and doubt it you can convert on the cheap.
Maybe you can run a DVI direct from a DVD player and a regular video from the receiver, if the plasma has two video in and selector.
My Plasma has the option to buy an attachment that gives it a DVI input, which is why I want to use it. I am buying a DVD player with a DVI output. Perhaps I am best off to buy the product from the link below. Apparently it will convert the signal from my XBOX (component) and my others into 1 DVI output. This should eliminate the amount of cables going to plasma and hopefull the unit will increase the video quality

http://www.dvdo.com

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Vancouver said:
My Plasma has the option to buy an attachment that gives it a DVI input, which is why I want to use it. I am buying a DVD player with a DVI output. Perhaps I am best off to buy the product from the link below. Apparently it will convert the signal from my XBOX (component) and my others into 1 DVI output. This should eliminate the amount of cables going to plasma and hopefull the unit will increase the video quality

http://www.dvdo.com

Not sure which product there you are thinking about. I saw something for $1500.

Just remember, that even if you do convert the other video sources to DVI, the resolution is limited by the source material you are converting. VCR is very limited, 240 lines.

I will defer the rationailty of this move to others :) I have limits, self imposed :)

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Not sure which product there you are thinking about. I saw something for $1500.

Just remember, that even if you do convert the other video sources to DVI, the resolution is limited by the source material you are converting. VCR is very limited, 240 lines.

I will defer the rationailty of this move to others :) I have limits, self imposed :)
You make a good point about the converting, but wouldnt the processor at least clean up the video a little bit? The particlar product on the link I gave before gave me the impression it coul do that.

I should ask this however. Is DVI better then component? I mean is it always better all the time?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Vancouver said:
You make a good point about the converting, but wouldnt the processor at least clean up the video a little bit? The particlar product on the link I gave before gave me the impression it coul do that.

I should ask this however. Is DVI better then component? I mean is it always better all the time?

Is th eunit the IScan HD+?

It may be able to clean up some of the noise but I don't see how it can add resolution than is just not there on a VHS tape, or anything lesser that the highest resolution medium. Hard to increas the picture quality in a newspaper unless you go to the master for it :)

Digital video should be the best as there was no conversion from it to analog, separating the analog to the 3 colors, etc, but it stays in the digital format all the way to the pixels on the screen. It should be the same as the original.

You may want to consider a demo somehow.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Vancouver said:

I think there's another thread that discusses the advantages of DVI/HDMI vs. component.

Certainly you shouldn't expect that the VHS tapes will look anything like a DVD player over DVI. Whether that DVDO box will improve the signal at all? It won't make it any worse. It's really tough to improve something that starts life as crappy as VHS, though - there's not much to work with. Really it's just going to be a matter of convenience that you won't have to switch inputs on the TV for each source - that's usually the primary reason for upconverting, especially in a receiver.

If you've got a DVI DVD player, having that be completely digital to the TV will make it as good as it can be. Everything else will still look only as good as the source, but upconverting the analog sources to DVI will make sure they don't degrade any more along their journey, and it will reduce complexity in your system. Personally, with $1500 I'd start saving for a DVI-capable receiver rather than buy that DVDO box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis