Seattle uses eminint domain to seize 103 year womans parking lot to make ...a parking lot.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Isn't this the kinda thing for which we went to war with Britian 235 years ago?

"The city of Seattle is forcing a 103-year-old woman to give up her private waterfront parking lot to make way for a city-owned parking lot.
The City Council voted Monday to use its power of eminent domain to acquire the lot owned by Spokane resident Myrtle Woldson, who has repeatedly turned down offers to purchase the property, Q13FOX.com reported."

See linky here

Where are we going and, why are we in this handbasket?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ever tried to park in Seattle? :eek:

At least they are going to give her money, but still, too much city/government involvement there.

The city has not indicated what they will offer Woldson for the property. She still has the opportunity to challenge the taking and the eventual selling price in court.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

At least they are going to give her money, but still, too much city/government involvement there.
When in Seattle, use the public transit and drink plenty of beer!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
When in Seattle, use the public transit and drink plenty of beer!
Seattle is one of those cities that I generally try to avoid driving in. Like New York, London, any city in Asia...

In reading the article, it would seem the council that came up with that idea is either criminally stupid and should be thrown out or has some sort of alternate secret plan based on corruption and should be thrown out. So which is it? Criminally stupid or corrupt?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Thats ok. I believe it was in New Jersey the did this to a bunch of home owners. Guess what is there now... Starbucks and other assorted franchises. Remember it's hard to trace cash if you know what I mean.

Well at least if you aren't a nimrod.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

She already turned down offers of $20 million before the eminent domain proceedings.
But, the city is using this as a mitigation and, it seems that it will remain as is, a surface parking lot. No changes, no increase in parking spaces it seems as no indication of a multi story parking facility was mentioned.
Perhaps there is an alterior motive?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
She can comfort herself with the 20 million.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
103 years old, what is she going to do with 20 million, Im sure she is already well off, and may want to leave that property to her family, maybe its been in her family for a long time, and thats obviously more important than money... She should fight it and expose any curruption....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
103 years old, what is she going to do with 20 million, Im sure she is already well off, and may want to leave that property to her family, maybe its been in her family for a long time, and thats obviously more important than money... She should fight it and expose any curruption....
If I were her age, I would see how fast I could get rid of 20 mil. Charities, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, great great grandkids, beer...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis