D

drdawg

Junior Audioholic
Hey all:

I am putting in my theater seating in my basement and have a closed off room.

I have ordered Klipsch quintets and Klipsch r10sw (sub).

I am thinking about seat shakers. If i do this, what wires should i have my wiring guy hide in the wall? from where (from the sub or from the reciever?). Would i have both a sub and seat shakers installed?

JPG of the basement layout is put in

Please help.

Thanks!

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bass shakers can be used in addition to a sub and they are fun but a better sub is often a lot more fun.

Soccerkid830

Soccerkid830

Full Audioholic
Agree with the above statement. I bought two shakers (Aura brand from PE) for use in my apartment with neighbors attached above, below and on the sides. Now that I have my own place (and subs), I have no use for the shakers and was actually trying to sell them somewhat passively on Craigslist.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I also agree that a better sub should be a priority, but bass shakers are a lot of fun. I love mine.

To answer your question, consider your bass shakers as passive subwoofers, which is basically how they function. You'll need an amp to power them, and they'll be connected to the amp with speaker wire. You'll need to send the LFE signal from your receiver to that amp.

So the answer to your question is, it depends whether you intend to keep your bass shaker amp near your receiver and other gear, or in the back of the room closer to the seats. If up front, bury speaker wire and buy binding post wall plates. If in back, use RCA wire and connections.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker wire is usually easier to run and most will tend to want to keep the amp near the system rather than near the shakers. Shakers are good when you have a situation where you may want to keep the sound levels down, but if that's not an issue, I'd just put the funds toward the sub purchase.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I used them in my overkill HT setup in an old apartment (ya, my neighbors hated me) to add a little more tactile info. You may want to hook 2 in series so the are compatible with an 8ohm amp, as they are 4ohm loads that can't take too much power. I was able to use a cheap Parts Express sub amp to drive them. In fact, I still have that set up sitting in a box in the lockers LOL, I just saw it the other day. I may pull them back out and screw them to the couch in the media room to see if they still work.

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis