Searching for Speakers for low frequencies (until infrasonic)

A

Anocs

Audiophyte
We need speakers of unusual needs to the hi-fi world. Our purpose for the speakers are following criteria.

- Good sound pressure as deeply down as possible eaven until the subsonic area
- Rapid response, that means no as little delay (groupdelay) as possible
- Small dimensions, for example, to be lashed on the windows frame

By Item 2, the bassreflex speakers are too slow. It ist clear that we have to try to get through the Hub more than the dimensions.
Eaven our criteria are possily idealistic, we're checking out the possibilities the different systems can give us.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
try these search words on google/yahoo:

Infinite Baffle
Thigpen Rotary

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
We need speakers of unusual needs to the hi-fi world. Our purpose for the speakers are following criteria.

- Good sound pressure as deeply down as possible eaven until the subsonic area
- Rapid response, that means no as little delay (groupdelay) as possible
- Small dimensions, for example, to be lashed on the windows frame

By Item 2, the bassreflex speakers are too slow. It ist clear that we have to try to get through the Hub more than the dimensions.
Eaven our criteria are possily idealistic, we're checking out the possibilities the different systems can give us.
Let me get this right....
Your talking small full range speakers here..? That also get down into the subsonic area?

Good Luck... let me know when you find them...

Matt34

Matt34

Let me get this right....
Your talking small full range speakers here..? That also get down into the subsonic area?

Good Luck... let me know when you find them...

What exactly are these speakers going to be used for? That may help us offer suggestions along with providing a budget.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Small dimensions meaning what? We need an approximate size to go by, as you are definitely not going to get to near infrasonic extension or SPL with Bose cube speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Methinks this is either an intentional troll or an honest query by someone so blatently ignorant in the realities of speaker design as to be laughable.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Methinks this is either an intentional troll or an honest query by someone so blatently ignorant in the realities of speaker design as to be laughable.
Ditto, I'd guess the first based on the verbiage of their post... -TD

A

Anocs

Audiophyte
Answer to the questions

Hy all! Thanks for all the replys.... Actually the rotary system could be a very good choice for our purpose. The question ain't a joke, we do ANC systems for rooms and beds, and there are subsonic frequencies that disturb people and is a possible additional stress factor, that's why e are checking out how far down it is possible to go.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hy all! Thanks for all the replys.... Actually the rotary system could be a very good choice for our purpose. The question ain't a joke, we do ANC systems for rooms and beds, and there are subsonic frequencies that disturb people and is a possible additional stress factor, that's why e are checking out how far down it is possible to go.
I would just love to know on how you plan to noise cancel a subsonic frequency, with the huge wave lengths involved. Sounds to me that you are in business to cater to a bunch of loonies.

Matt34

Matt34

"ambient noise compensation" (ANC) system- Is this what you are talking about?

The ANC system, developed by Oval Window Inc., employs digital signal processing to make appropriate decisions about the signal-to-noise status of the sound-field system. It can be used with any type of classroom sound-field system, FM or Infra-Red. A "sense-microphone" is located some six feet away from one of the sound-field system's loudspeakers. The function of this "sense microphone" is to monitor and compare the loudspeaker's acoustic output with the electrical input signal from the teacher's microphone. Using this information, the ANC automatically adjusts the gain of the sound-field system up to 12 dB to compensate for loudness changes in the teacher's speech or the ambient noise levels. Basically, what it is doing is ensure a constant signal-to-noise ratio at the children's desks. The potential contribution of the ANC system was demonstrated in several listening studies that compared it to a sound-field system lacking an ANC. Overall, somewhat better performance on speech recognition tests were obtained with the ANC system than with conventional sound-field systems.
http://www.hearingresearch.org/Dr.Ross/classroom_sound_field_systems.htm

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis