sealed vs ported SVS PB3000

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
I ran a scan with the subs in Sealed mode vs Ported.
Seemed they went down lower in Sealed mode, is that from Room Gain but why only when sealed?
Sealed vs ported.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sealed should have a little bit more output under the system tuning of around 17Hz, but not that much. It seems you are getting an extraordinary amount of room gain.

S

Sky1

Audioholic Intern
Sealed should have a little bit more output under the system tuning of around 17Hz, but not that much. It seems you are getting an extraordinary amount of room gain.
yup, but it seems I get that only when in Sealed mode but don't hear or feel it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That deep bass stuff might be an artifact of a mic error and may not really be how that subwoofer is behaving. There are a lot goofy things that can happen with mics, especially at frequency extremes such as extreme deep bass or extremely high treble. If you wanted to be sure that it really exists, take a bunch of measurements all around the room to see where it is happening. It's also possible there is a mic defect.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's a correction chart for various mics which could explain the tones in the bottom octave.

It also may go that low but it does not have the same tactile feel as a vented sub. I noticed this when I went from my vented to a sealed sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It does seem like an anomaly of some kind. I do find it interesting that they both have the same peaks and null. 12, 15, and 20ish.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis