SDR bluray vs HDR bluray converted to SDR

Marin

Marin

Audioholic Intern
Which one would be better? I got a few HDR 4k blurays recently and all of them come both with standard bluray and HDR bluray discs, I have Sony x800 HDR BD player connected to SDR display.

Marin

Marin

Audioholic Intern
I do technically have HDR display (Dell s3220dgf) but it looks worse in hdr than in sdr mode, if you send hdr signal to it all it does is bump the back light to max and the whole image looses contrast and looks washed out .
As soon as good 32'' HDR display that's not Asus proart pa32ucx becomes available I'll get one, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen soon though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If HDR doesn't look good, then just use the SDR BD version.

I don't see the point of having to convert HDR to SDR if you already have the SDR version.

Marin

Marin

Audioholic Intern
You can compare and see for yourself. Based on my experience, SDR looks better than many HDR-to-SDR conversions.
Thanks; gonna stick with standard bluray then.
They both look good to me, but it's hard to compare when you have to change the discs and seek to the particular scene .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks; gonna stick with standard bluray then.
They both look good to me, but it's hard to compare when you have to change the discs and seek to the particular scene .
Even if you have HDR TVs, I would still compare both versions to see which looks better. Just because it's "HDR" doesn't guarantee that it's better.

Not all "HDR" TVs are created equal and not all "HDR" contents are created equal.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Even if you have HDR TVs, I would still compare both versions to see which looks better. Just because it's "HDR" doesn't guarantee that it's better.

Not all "HDR" TVs are created equal and not all "HDR" contents are created equal.
I found some HDR content to be overly bright on my best HDR display. Picture looked excellent, but boy did it make me squint.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis