J

jordanny

Enthusiast
I just bought a house that has a crt projector and screen. The screen is a pull-down type. When down, it has waves (for lack of a better word) in places extending fron the outside edges toward the middle. How would you suggest I stretch the screen? Is there a way to make the screen rigid, or am I faced with the choice of replacing it/ living with it? Also, is there an adjustable mask available to cover unused parts of the screen when going from 4:3 / 16:9? Thanks for any help.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
If you are very careful you can use a hairdryer to heat up the surface and try to remove the wrinkles You may be wasting your time if the material has
been left in the up position in the case for a long period of time
There are Tension screens available but they are costly You can purchase an electric screen 1.1 gain with remote control system for about $600-800
the el-cheapo's allway'scurl up on the edges so be leery of theses
hope this helps
Ray

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Really, in my experience, there is no way to get rid of the wrinkles. If you really are in the situation where you are going to replace it because it is so bad, you might want to try making a rigid frame for it and stapling the screen material to the frame. This may cost you about 50 bucks in wood, but could do a nice job if you are careful.

The least expensive good theater screens really are the permanently tensioned ones as they come with a frame that keeps the screen tight and is designed more for home theater use than rolling up and being inconspcuous.

Good tab-tensioned screens typically cost upwards of 1000 bucks (easily) for a 16x9 screen. Don't know if they sell them un-motorized, which will bring cost down a fair amount. But, tab-tensioned is the way to go if you have to roll it up when not in use.

Electric masking is VERY expensive for full-on masking but is available. You can also get masking that is electric that specifically comes down to convert from 16:9 to 4:3 and back. Check one of the major screen manufacturers for pricing. Tab tensioned plus masking in an electric screen... I would expect nothing less than about $2,000.00 if you are lucky.

J

jordanny

Enthusiast
Thanks very much for the help. I think I'm going to build a frame and an attachable mask. I think I know how I want to do it... :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's definitely sounds like a fun project if you have the time and really don't worry to much if the final result isn't all you hoped it would be.

Definitely a budget way to go that really should provide some good results if you are careful with the design.

E

Epilespaul

Enthusiast
Screen

I just finished a Homemade 100" Screen and with the 1x4's,Black Flannel,and Blackout Material Ive invested about $50.00 in it and it looks really sharp...My In Focus Screenplay 4805 will be here tomarrow so I'll get to try out the screen..........

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis