E

ediaz

Audiophyte
Hello Guys ,

I have a 120" screen, it was white very grainy almost felt like sand paper and sparkled. I painted it with projector paint looks amazing , still feels kinda of grainy but after 3 coats dont sparkle more and texture kind of softened.

My question is, I want to go bigger and just build a wall and paint it with the same paint, do i paint the wall or do I get a bigger similar screen and paint it then attach to wall ? i want it to look the way it looks now but bigger.

thank you

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you have a grainy screen, you bought the wrong screen. A good screen should be a smooth white surface without any added surface coatings which may impact the image. This is why ambient light rejecting screens tend to be so miserable for image quality. But, a good flat white screen with a good border can be had for not a lot of cash with screens like the Elite SabeFrame or the SilverTicket screens (check Amazon).

IME, these look very good with a good surface that has little texture, no hotspotting, and no sparkles.

Of course, you can paint your wall if that's your preference. Painting a wall works well, but you don't have that nice border that frames can give you (unless you build something). As well, most walls aren't flat the way screens are. There are some good DiY screen building pieces of information online if you search for them.

DiY is great, and depending on your technical prowess and free time, you can do amazing things. Be aware that it can take hours, or days, to build a screen, so the time you spend building a screen yourself, or painting a screen to perfection yourself, may have been better spent just getting a fixed frame screen online.

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
Are there cheaper options for good quality automatic screens? That can be hidden into the ceiling with the trap door?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Are there cheaper options for good quality automatic screens? That can be hidden into the ceiling with the trap door?
No.

Motorized screens are pricey and getting a good tab-tensioned motorized ceiling recessed screen, especially with a dual hidden cover is a lot of build work on the part of the manufacturer and the screens typically weigh a couple hundred pounds requiring two people to install them.

Depending on the space it is going into, you can build a section of ceiling (woodwork) which can hide the screen and the screen can be placed into that section and a lesser expensive tab-tensioned screen can be used. Lesser expensive would be anything under $1,500 or so. There are a lot of 'cheap' tab-tensioned screens and they almost all have some waves in the material and aren't even perfect out of the box, let alone 5 or 10 years down the line.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis