Screen for dedicated media room

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for Screen either 120' or 130'

I will have 7.2.4 set up for dedicated media room, no windows, (15' wide x 19' deep x 10" high) with Revel speakers

Front 3 R/L/C - Revel W990 x 3

Atmos Ceiling x 4 - Revel C583

Surround x4 - Revel W383

Sony Projector VPL -VW295ES

Any recommendations? Any deals with Black Friday?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are rarely real deals on decent product for front projection. The market is a bit too niche to have gone that route and the margins aren't huge. So, selling screens or even projectors at a phenomenal price doesn't make much sense.

That said, have you considered a seating distance and screen size? Is your room really dark with dark paint/no windows/dark carpet?

If so, I would shoot for about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. If you have two rows, a compromise size between the two rows may make a lot of sense.

Calling it a 150" diagonal, 16:9 aspect ratio screen and using a fixed frame fabric screen to allow the speakers to go behind it...

I would go to Seymour AV and get their screen.

Their 130 or 140 screen is likely ideal for your room. Preferably using the uF material.
It's about $1,850 for the following:
H130: 16:9 130”w (149.2”d)
Center Stage UF only
Premier 3.3” Frame

About $140 for the 160" diagonal H140 model.

This pairs very well with a high end projector in a good room.

If budget is a bit tighter, I can say that I've seen the JVC RS540 on a 135" diagonal Silver Ticket AT screen and it really looked solid in a decent room.

But, I definitely lean towards Seymour over Silver Ticket in terms of overall quality.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I will have 7.2.4 set up for dedicated media room, no windows, (15' wide x 19' deep x 10" high) with Revel speakers

Surround x4 - Revel W383

My two cents, skip purchasing those Revels. Over priced in my opinion. Grab 3 Focal IW300LCR's, 4-IW-6's for sides and then use their ICW8's for ceilings. You'll save money using Focals and get amazing performance. I would go with the JVC NX5 over the 295. Don't forget to budget for Subs. I'm sure SVS has some black friday deals going on. I know Monoprice has their subs on sale.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am buying SVS SB-2000 (dual subwoofers) instead of PB-2000. Tech guy at Crutchfield recommended SB-2000 and not PB-2000 for my room size (15' x 19'). He said PB-2000 will be overkill as I am buying dual subwoofers. He said SB-2000 has more clarity.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am buying SVS SB-2000 (dual subwoofers) instead of PB-2000. Tech guy at Crutchfield recommended SB-2000 and not PB-2000 for my room size (15' x 19'). He said PB-2000 will be overkill as I am buying dual subwoofers. He said SB-2000 has more clarity.
Get the PB’s. Will be able to dig deeper vs those SB’s. SB’s are great for music, PB’s are great for home theaters.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are some people who would argue about sealed vs. ported boxes, but I will absolutely swear by sealed box design over ported boxes any day of the week.

Bigger amps, higher price tag, tighter sound, more refined, and better overall sound quality. I would stick with the sealed box.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
There are some people who would argue about sealed vs. ported boxes, but I will absolutely swear by sealed box design over ported boxes any day of the week.

Bigger amps, higher price tag, tighter sound, more refined, and better overall sound quality. I would stick with the sealed box.
So you are suggesting dual SB-2000 instead of dual PB-2000?!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sb2k does not have more clarity. It also doesn’t have much output. Guy at crutchfield is wrong. It’s a very nice small music sub for a small room. Pb2000 will NOT be overkill, especially once it’s level matched. I say he needs a performance evaluation and training. I’ve used sb2000’s before(not in my main room). You will be let down. A 120” with two small sealed subs will NOT carry the weight of that scale. Just won’t happen. Imo a pair of PC2k or pb2k pros would be much more appropriate. I think I just saw a BF sale for pb2000 too.
Rythmik and HSU might be having something as well. Don’t know.
I would never use a sealed sub unless I let WAF win lol. But if you do, I think a couple sb3000 would be as small as I’d use. But for that much money....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve seen some of this video. From what I remember about it, they’re basically playing along with the sealed for music thing as to not alienate customers. Pretty smart! But dumb.....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve seen some of this video. From what I remember about it, they’re basically playing along with the sealed for music thing as to not alienate customers. Pretty smart! But dumb.....
Ed states that Sealed subs work (Music or H/T) if you need a smaller footprint and if your room is smaller.
He also states Ported subs work better in larger rooms then Sealed subs. And also a Properly Designed Ported sub will work with H/T or Music

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ed states that Sealed subs work (Music or H/T) if you need a smaller footprint and if your room is smaller.
He also states Ported subs work better in larger rooms then Sealed subs. And also a Properly Designed Ported sub will work with H/T or Music
Roger that.

M

mjg100

Audioholic Intern

Surround x4 - Revel W383

Questions to determine what screen would be best.

1. Acoustically transparent or solid? In other words, do you plan to place speakers behind the screen?
2. Viewing distance? for each row, if more than one row?
3. What color is the ceiling?
4. Wall color?
5. Room size? Try to determine how close the walls and ceiling will be to the screen.
6. Budget?
7. With your projector, you would need to go with a 16:9 screen, but if this is a dedicated room for movie watching, I would consider

Since a dedicated room, I assume you are planning on a fixed frame screen, rather than a drop down? With a dedicated light controlled room, you generally go with a white screen, but if the walls and or ceiling are going to be white and close to the screen, a white screen may not be best. I would consider a scope screen and a different projector. If wanting native 4K, then a JVC RS1000. If that is above your budget, then an Epson 6050 or 5050.

M

mjg100

Audioholic Intern
To address the sub questions. Ported or sealed subs, both work well for music or movies. Each has advantages and disadvantages. When looking at about the same money, ported has more output, above its tuning, but sealed usually has more output below the ported subs tuning. Sealed has an advantage in size.

For home theater, if only going with one or two subs, I would probably go ported. If able to go with more than two subs, I would go sealed. I have owned and built both. I currently use sealed, but I have six sealed 18" subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis