Scramble the Sea Wolves

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Since I brought up JD Vance, I thought you might be interested in a bit of history, my squadron for a year, HA(L)-3, Sea Wolves.

Bing Videos

Squadron members earned five Navy Crosses, Silver Stars, DFC distinguished flying cross, bronze stars, air medals a bunch, purple hears a bunch.
I have one single flight AM, 36 other AM, PH, bunch of other stuff.

Yes, I flew off of LSTs, day and night.
Untitled66.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Since I brought up JD Vance, I thought you might be interested in a bit of history, my squadron for a year, HA(L)-3, Sea Wolves.

Bing Videos

Squadron members earned five Navy Crosses, Silver Stars, DFC distinguished flying cross, bronze stars, air medals a bunch, purple hears a bunch.
I have one single flight AM, 36 other AM, PH, bunch of other stuff.

View attachment 68772
Hat’s off to you good sir!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Superb documentary , thanks for sharing and thanks for your service !!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Admirable record especially in the mid 1960s. I didn't know the Navy flew HA-3s. Those birds packed a punch but they were also were easily targeted.

Were those LSTs (Landing Ship Tanks, shown below) from the WW2 era? Or were they one of the larger landing ships that were built later? Wasn't a WW2 LST small for helicopters?
1723321053030.png

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Admirable record especially in the mid 1960s. I didn't know the Navy flew HA-3s. Those birds packed a punch but they were also were easily targeted.

Were those LSTs (Landing Ship Tanks, shown below) from the WW2 era? Or were they one of the larger landing ships that were built later? Wasn't a WW2 LST small for helicopters?
Actually, HA(L)3 is the squadron name, helicopter attack light sq 3. Flew H-1 Huey gunships.
Not sure but could have been. Never went down there to investigate. It did have a large enough clear mid dec to hold 2 helos. Untitled23.jpg

You land one, move it to side and land 2nd helo.
Come to think of it, looking at my pictures, they were the WWII LSTs. 3 40mm cannon turrets up front. Boy, do they wallop.

Attachments

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, HA(L)3 is the squadron name, helicopter attack light sq 3. Flew H-1 Huey gunship.
I remember the name Huey but not the H-1 part.
Were the Navy Huey pilots officer Naval Aviators? The Army pilots were mere Warrant officers . They did great work too.

I’m glad you survived that. Congrats. Thanks for the great photos.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I remember the name Huey but not the H-1 part.
Were the Navy Huey pilots officer Naval Aviators? The Army pilots were mere Warrant officers . They did great work too.

I’m glad you survived that. Congrats. Thanks for the great photos.
Yes, the Huey is the common name.
Yes, in the Navy, pilots are commissioned line officers. Doctors, lawyer nurses, supply, engineers are commissioned but not line. Line has command at sea capability, others don't.
The Army does have commissioned officers as pilots but mostly Warrants.
Viet Nam079.jpgViet Nam097.jpgUntitled47.jpgViet Nam138.jpg

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

An interesting read. I see your connection to the Navy Swift Boats, one of which was commanded by John Kerry.
The boats tied to that LST were PBRs. Swift boats may have bin bigger? Don't know but could be the same.
Googled Swift boats and they were bigger than the river patrol boats, PBR.
Yes, we operated with the PBRs and seals as well, insertions, cover and extraction.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Great educational thread gents, thanks !

My cousin served (survived) two tours in Nam aboard a river patrol boat as a gunner. Unfortunately agent orange took its toll.........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis