Scientific Atlanta DVI

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I upgraded my cable box to HD last spring. When the installer brought the box in, a 8300HD, he did not hook it up with a DVI cable. When I asked him about it he told me not to use it as it caused problems. Something about the box needing to reset itself too often. At the time I took him for his word and didn't really feel the need to buy a cable that would be useless to me. I just ran a cross the thread in front page news and discussions concerning a related issue.
First of all was there any truth in what the installer told me or was he blowing smoke?
Secondly, I currently have my TV connected with regular coax. Provided the box supports it properly. Will I see a marked improvement with a DVI connection?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
The SA8300HD DVR comes with HDMI (DVI is with the SA8000HD). HDMI appears to be activated with nearly all cable providers.

If you have an a/v receiver, you should use the digital audio output at the SA8300HD to the receiver. HDMI will bring DD2.0 to the TV and connecting digital audio from the TV's output to the a/v will not provide you with surround.

In a few months Broadcasters will start using the Broadcast flag when requested by a production producer. Because your SA8300HD is HDCP enabled, it will be important to use HDMI to your TV's HDMI or DVI (cable with one type at each end) to make your TV HDCP compliant.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Nuts, You correct are Mfabien. It does have HDMI. I believe the first box they brought was an 8000. (What a piece of crap). I didn't notice the DVI to HDMI change in the 8300. I'll have look into getting a cable.
I am using the optical connection to the reciever now. Should be interesting to see if there is an improvement in picture quality with HDMI.

Nice info, thanks.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
NomoSony said:
Nuts, You correct are Mfabien. It does have HDMI. I believe the first box they brought was an 8000. (What a piece of crap). I didn't notice the DVI to HDMI change in the 8300. I'll have look into getting a cable.
I am using the optical connection to the reciever now. Should be interesting to see if there is an improvement in picture quality with HDMI.

Nice info, thanks.
I need to tell you that I absolutely love my SA8000HD. My cable provider does a good job with it.

Readers must understand that there are as many software versions of the DVR as there are cable providers. Scientific Atlanta takes into account the hardware and the support each cable provider brings to their respective service.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
This is a very frustrating issue for me. I have two Scientific Atlanta HD boxes both with the DVI out. When I got my first about a year ago COX cable told me they didn't support the output but I should call back periodically to find out when they would. So I called and I called almost every week in anticipation. Finally one of the reps told me I I was good to go. I asked if she was absolutely sure because the only DVI cable I could find was monster's $100 product. She assured me I would be ok. When I hooked it up it worked however, every time I turn my tv off and then come back and power it back on I get an error message on the screen or just plain snow. Very clean digital snow mind you but snow none the less. Anyway, I kept calling them back and each person I talked with told me something different. Finally I had a tech come out to my house. He told me Cox does not fully support it yet and it is still in testing. He said everyone is having this problem and that the only way to get it to work is to unplug the box for a couple minutes and let it reset. Then after it loads the channel guide wont work and I can't get channels over 100. Then I have to simply turn the box off and then back on and let it load one more time. After that what do ya know, it works beautifully. So I would not reccomend getting the cable until you know it will work everytime. The diff in quality between dvi and component is not worth all this hassle.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
bigbassdave,
What you are describing sounds like what the cable guy was trying to tell me.
Hopefully for my sake Time Warner has found a way to make the HDMI work.

Mfabien,
If the 8000 works for you consider yourself lucky. In the year that I've had HD I'm on my third box. The first two were 8000s. Both kept locking up and the only way to reset them was to unplug it. The 8300 is a much more reliable model.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
bigbassdave,

The power on procedure is as follows:

- Power On TV, then
- Power On SA8000HD

That will permit the TV to identify itself to the HDCP system and the handshake will tale place.

To Power OFF,

- Power Off SA8000HD, then
- Power Off TV.

To make your life easier, get the SA8000HD remote to do the job for you.

Go to the Scientific Atlanta's Explorer Club at:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/default.asp

Look behind your DVR remote and get the model number (including the suffix at the end of the SA part number...mine is the AT8400-D)

Click Guides and select the Remote user guide for your specific remote. Print it out and find the code to program your TV to Power on. Follow the procedure.

With one click of the Power button with my AT8400-D, first the TV Powers On then the DVR. For Power OFF, the reverse takes place...it powers off the DVR then the TV.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
thanks for the advice but I dont have that model HD box. I have the 3250HD. Still, I will try doing it the way you said but I think I just have to wait for Cox to work out all the bugs. Assuming that ever happens.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis