Sci-Fi Bionic Suits a Reality(finally)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
We've seen this type of thing in sci-fi movies for years. It's about time they materialized.

TOKYO (AFP) - Japan has taken a step into the science-fiction world with the release of a "robot suit" that can help workers lift heavy loads or assist people with disabilities climb stairs.

"Humans may be able to mutate into supermen in the near future," said Yoshiyuki Sankai, professor and engineer at Tsukuba University who led the project.

The 15-kilogram (33-pound) battery-powered suit, code-named HAL-5, detects muscle movements through electrical-signal flows on the skin surface and then amplifies them.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/afplifestylejapantechnologyrobotelderly;_ylt=AljgL_rJwnTIdMWVifCGlU0h2.cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMDVqZmllBHNlYwNjaWQxNjk1

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Cool! Looks like my plans for world domination just got a shot in the arm! :p

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I absolutely LOVE that they named it HAL!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Um... so to demonstrate it they have some wimpy nerd trying to pick up a 100 pound girl?

Mmkay.

And you mean to tell me we're in 2005 and these things aren't real yet? I guess I assumed they were. Those big metal things what's-her-name used to fight off the Alien in one of that series aren't real? :confused:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's pretty cool, the Mantis lives!

Maybe Denon should package the suit with the 5805 to help people install it in their racks. ;)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Shadow_Ferret said:
Um... so to demonstrate it they have some wimpy nerd trying to pick up a 100 pound girl?

Mmkay.

And you mean to tell me we're in 2005 and these things aren't real yet? I guess I assumed they were. Those big metal things what's-her-name used to fight off the Alien in one of that series aren't real? :confused:
Yeah -- I always wondered why(in the year 2005) a device like featured in Aliens was not realized. I guess we are finally getting close to seeing these things used in warehouses and on construction sites?

-Chris

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
I'm sure I've read about prototypes of that sort of thing a few years ago; looks like they have made some progress. I guess it boils down to figuring out a way to make money on the things.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Chicks are bound to dig a guy with his own robot suit!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
LOL, you guys are all showing your young ages. Did any of you ever read Starship Troopers? All the troopers wore a mechnical suit that gave them strength, enhanced their senses and could fly short distances. :D The movie was not even close to the book. However, James Cameron's Aliens took a lot from the book as far as the Colonial Marines were concerned.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Rather than "Starship Troopers", what came to my mind was the Wallace and Gromit classic, "The Wrong Trousers". :D

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
jeffsg4mac said:
LOL, you guys are all showing your young ages. Did any of you ever read Starship Troopers?
No, I didn't read it. I was never much into Heinlein. However, I didn't realize this book was written in 1959 or that the movie was based on it.

And I'm 47. :p

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Shadow_Ferret said:
No, I didn't read it. I was never much into Heinlein. However, I didn't realize this book was written in 1959 or that the movie was based on it.

And I'm 47. :p
Well you have me beat by 7 years
:D

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Chicks are bound to dig a guy with his own robot suit!
I hope you're kidding, because you might as well dig a moat around your crotch if you show-up at the local Hooters in that. All the guys will be all over it, but I'm assuming you aren't into that ;)

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
jeffsg4mac said:
LOL, you guys are all showing your young ages. Did any of you ever read Starship Troopers? All the troopers wore a mechnical suit that gave them strength, enhanced their senses and could fly short distances. :D The movie was not even close to the book. However, James Cameron's Aliens took a lot from the book as far as the Colonial Marines were concerned.
Yep, and that's why the movie was such a huge disappointment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis