Saving Private Ryan

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Hey guy's, quick inquiry!

I just picked up SPR on DVD the 60th anniversary D-DAY edition. It's in DD 5.1 with no DTS (kinda dumb if ya ask me) I was just wondering, is the DTS version really that much better or can I stop losing sleep over this.

I usually buy all my flicks in DTS (personal pref) but because of the fact that it was the D-DAY anniversary edition, I impulse bought.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I at one time owned both the original and the DTS version. Now I only own the DTS version. I played one then the other, and for me the DTS version was better. It is one of the few movies that the DTS file is completely uncompressed. No Dolby Digital on this DVD only DPL.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I borrowed my brother's 60th anniversary set and realized it was not DTS. I ordered a DTS version on amazon.com.... a used copy from a guy. And after reading all the reviews about it..Trust me. it's night and day. The opening beach scene when the bullets are flying over your head in the rear surrounds was all I needed to hear...breathtaking...you may have to get the DTS used. It's out of print now apparantly.

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
yea you can get the DTS soundtrack ONLY with the 4 disk collectors edition which I feel is absolutley retarted because that set is like $40. This really does not make much since because Speilberg is usually the one to back up DTS. It really did tick me off because i was going to buy the old version but then I found out a special edition was coming out, but when I bought it it did not have the DTS track on it. :mad:

e30cabrio

e30cabrio

Enthusiast
I have the original DD "Special Limited Edition" which I have always used as a referance for my systems (the opening beach scene) it sounds amazing. Is it worth the money to buy the DTS version? how much better does it really sound?

On a side note how many freaking "Special Limited Edition(s)" can one movie really need? seems like there are a whole lot.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
You can find the older DTS version used online or at a used DVD store. It's out of print now, replaced with the Special edition which is not DTS. And yes there is a HUGE difference.

saurabh

saurabh

Audioholic
You can buy the earlier DTS version available at some australian stores provided your DVD can play PAL format. devoted woudl be cheapest...check it out.

dvdorchard.com.au
videoezydvd.com.au
Atlanticdvd.com.au
devoteddvd.com.au

Last edited:
D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the input guys, it look like I'll have to live with DD. At least it comes in a cool ammo box type case! Not to mention my grandfather was lost in that great war so the Anniversary has a lot of significance for me and my father!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis