Satellite speaker sub crossover

B

bigrigbob

Audiophyte
Hii have a question. I just got a set of Polk Blackstone TL1 600 . I have a Denon avr2100w. Where would I set the subwoofer crossover at. Thank you everyone for your help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A crossover is that between your speakers and subs. Some avrs call it full range or large to not use a crossover. Some avrs have an LFE LPF setting, but that's just a limit on the LFE channel content, if any (the ".1" channel) and normal setting is simply 120 hz, the usual limit of content in the LFE channel.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hii have a question. I just got a set of Polk Blackstone TL1 600 . I have a Denon avr2100w. Where would I set the subwoofer crossover at. Thank you everyone for your help
Welcome to the Board @bigrigbob.

You will find the Polk Blackstone TL1 600 specs here and the Sub setting here . I'm assuming you want to hook up the Sub via the line in connection from your Denon avr2100w as shown here and here.

Low Pass—NOTE: This control should be turned all the way up when the subwoofer is connected with Method #1 (LINE IN). This control adjusts the frequency range over
which the subwoofer operates. If male vocals sound “thin,” turn this control up until the voice sounds rich but not “boomy.” If male vocals sound too “thick” or “chesty,”
turn this control down until the voice sounds natural.

I hope you enjoy your system.

B

bigrigbob

Audiophyte
I know them little satellite speakers can’t handle a lot of bass. So I want the sub to take the bass.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I know them little satellite speakers can’t handle a lot of bass. So I want the sub to take the bass.
Just use one of the Sub out RCA line out connections from the rear of the Denon avr2100w into the Sub; and then connect the remaining speakers as per the diagram to the corresponding outputs on the Denon. Then it will easier for you to do the automatic Audyssey Setup providing you have the microphone. The Bass will be directed toward the Sub.

Once finished, I'd be cautious with those speakers even though the specs say the satellites "handles up to 100 watts"; I'm doubtful of that. I'd gradually increase volume and pull back at the first sign of any distortion as to not damage anything.

I hope this is helpful.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The satellite speakers must not produce very much bass as the recommended crossover frequency is quite high. The owners manual on page 8 recommends a crossover setting of 120Hz (for larger bookshelf speakers it would typically be around 80Hz). This is when using the subwoofer pre-amp out on the receiver. In this arrangement all speakers should be set to "small". As mentioned above, the LFE setting on the receiver is for the low frequency effects channel and is the upper cutoff so that is usually set to 120Hz being the upper limit for low frequency effects in movies.

Page 10 of the manual shows how to connect the speakers if you do not use the subwoofer output on a receiver, but instead connect the main front left and right channels of the receiver to the subwoofer and then connect the front L+R speakers to the subwoofer speaker terminals. In this arrangement the subwoofer acts as the crossover so the front speakers need to be set to "large" in the receiver settings. The crossover in the receiver should still be set to 120Hz with the surround speakers and center speaker set to "small".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis