Sapphire Audio and Boston Acoustics trials

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I auditioned Sapphire and Boston Acoustics last night at Tweeter.  

It is funny how my price range keeps getting higher as I shop.  My original plan was to stick with JBL and merely replace my front speakers with new JBL towers, keeping my JBL center and rears.  Now I am considering replacing all five speakers since tonal matching for movies is most important for me.

I was originally considering the JBL E90s, but the $800 pair price tag and the inability to adequately audition them at Best Buy has been discouraging.  I found them at an e-tailer for approximately $600 including shipping.

Last night I auditioned the new Sapphire ST2 (www.sapphireaudio.com) against a pair of old VR950 model Boston Acoustics floorstanders.  The Sapphire and Boston’s were on sale for $800 pair and $350 pair, respectively.

I used a Billy Bragg CD that contains acoustic guitar and rich vocals.  Both speakers, powered by an 80w Sony receiver at 17dbls were very bright due to their high sensitivities.  I was amazed at how much louder these speakers sounded at that output compared to my current bookshelf speakers powered by my home 60w Onkyo receiver.  I am not sure what impact the difference in power output between the receivers actually makes on the perceived loudness.

The Bostons seemed a bit warmer in tones than the Sapphires, but that may have been partly due to the Sapphires greater sensitivity.  Both speakers were incredible to me, a vast improvement over my current small JBLs (it was difficult to contain my excitement).  Obviously, these speakers are larger than my current bookshelf model, with greater frequency response and more drivers.  I wish I could hear the JBL E90 towers next to the Sapphires and Bostons.  The Sapphires side firing 10” woofer seems really hi-tech and produced improved base over the Bostons.  The Bostons seemed a bit overwhelmed and confused when I demoed an action DVD.  Conversely, the Sapphires were so bright and in-your-face that they bordered on harsh (I think I just needed to turn them down a bit, as the vocalist sounded like he was singing in my ear) I may return on Wednesday with a different CD and DVD.  Perhaps an old Yaz (Allison Moyet) CD and The Fifth Element DVD.

I also recently tested a pair of Polk Rti70s at Circuit City.  Last year’s model on closeout at $600 pair.  Both the Bostons and Sapphires were far superior to me.

Boston Acoustics
I liked the Boston’s warmth and low price ($450 cheaper than the Sapphire).  Despite the Boston’s very good low frequency response, the Sapphire’s were clearly superior in that regard.  The inability to bi-wire and the “sock” cover with loose top were a bit disappointing.  The sock cover over the whole speaker is actually very ugly to me.

Appropriate rear speakers of both the Boston and Sapphire line were $300 pair.  The Boston center channel was $50 more expensive at $400, but seemed superior in construction.  The Boston center utilized four distinct drivers, two-base, a tweeter, and a mid driver.  

Sapphire ST2
The Sapphire seems to be technically a superior speaker, with a side firing 10” base speaker and the ability to be bi-wired.  The cabinet is also more attractive, with a traditional speaker grill and it is significantly taller at 44”, which is advantageous since my center speaker is at a height of 52” mounted on top of a projection TV.  The center speaker is rather diminutive in size relative to the Boston Acoustic’s center.  The Sapphire has two mids and a tweeter.  Since the center is supposed to be the most important speaker in a home theatre setup, this is an important factor in my ultimate decision.

F       R      C
Sapphire 800+300+350=$1,450
Boston 350+300+400=$1,050

Boston Acoustics (VR950)
VR-950 Floorstanding Speakers Full Product Specifications
Recommended Amplifier Power 15-150 watts
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response +/-(3dB) 46-20,000Hz
Bass Unit Dual 5-1/4&quot; (135mm) copolymer
Tweeter 1&quot; (25mm) anodized aluminum dome
Crossover Frequency 3100Hz
Sensitivity (1 watt (2.83v) at 1m) 90dB
Finish Charcoal gray cloth with gloss black top
Weight 37 lbs.
Dimensions (HxWxD) 38-1/4 x 9 3/4 x 12&quot;

Sapphire
Frequency Range 30 Hz- 20Khz +/- 3 db
Sensitivity 93 db
Impedance 8 ohms
Recommended power 15-150 watts continuous
Acoustic Design Rear Vented Bass Reflex
Tweeter 1&quot; shielded polycell dome
Midrange 2 x 5.25&quot;
Material Aluminum Cone
Woofer 10&quot; side firing
Material Coated Paper Cone
Crossover 12 db @ 150 Hz woofer
18db @ 3000 Hz tweeter
Size 44&quot;H x 6.5&quot;W x 15.2&quot;D
Weight 54.1 lbs.
Finish Black Ash vinyl
Features Black glass top inlay
Bi-wire capable, leveling spikes
Construction
Cabinet Sleeve 18 mm MDF
Baffle front 30 mm MDF
Front Grille Black Cloth
Side Grille Black Cloth</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>i'm a low end kinda guy myself.. i can't really afford $2000/pr speakers..

i tried the JBL E90s at Best Buy locally (they actually have a room dedicated to home audio).. and i liked them quite a bit.. but i also listened to the Klipsch Synergy SF-3 series (S=Synergy, F=Front, 3 top end Synergy, also have C=center, B=bookshelf, S=Surround)..

Anyways.. i was much more impressed with the Klipsch at BB than i was the jbls.. much more base, more clarity.. much better sounding speaker..

doing some searches i'm sure you can find them cheaper.. BB has them for $425/ea for the fronts..

jbl stats:
http://www.jbl.com/home....0&Buy=N

Klipsch stats:
www.klipsch.com (go to synergy series, floorstanding, and look for SF-3)

you can tell they're pretty similar but the klipsch are much more efficient..

anyways.. i run it with a Yamaha RX-V1400.. i have the SF-3, SF-B, SF-C and the KSW-12 sub..

just my two cents..</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>that should have said SF-3, SB-3, SC-3 and KSW-12..</font>

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the response. &nbsp;I have read some reviews of the Boston VR950s today and am giving them more consideration.</font>

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Buy the main left and right speakers that sound best to you, even if they cost more.  If you have any money left, buy the center and use your old surrounds.  You can always buy new surrounds at a later date.  I don't think timbre-matching of the surrounds to the fronts is that important, anyway.</font>

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I share your sentiment regarding timbre matching of rears. &nbsp;While the extra $400 is significant, I don't want to regret not purchasing the better sounding speakers. &nbsp;

I do have some reservations about the apparently better quality center offered by Boston Acoustics relative to the small Sapphire center. &nbsp;Also, it is somewhat scarry to buy from a new unproven company. &nbsp;It would be awful to find out later that Sapphire's have some design flaw.

Since the Sapphire line is new, I imagine the matching rear channel speakers will be available for at least a year.

I plan on going by this evening for a second listen to speakers and make a final decision. &nbsp;It will be nice to have my new speakers for the weekend.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>allengarman,

I have the Boston VR 965 towers and love them. &nbsp;Boston makes a great speaker and the VR950 is a great value right now. &nbsp;The VR line is being discontinued so you can get some great deals. &nbsp; One thing about the VR 950, you will likely need a sub at some pount. &nbsp;They just don't produce a lot of low end. &nbsp;

On the sapphires, be sure to listen to them for a long extended time. &nbsp;I listened to them a few weeks ago at a Tweeter and they seemed overly bright and harsh to me. &nbsp;Reminded me of Klipsch to some degree. &nbsp; I find that with Klipsch, I seem to tolerate them at first, but after about 15 to 30 minutes of listening, they become very &quot;shrill&quot; &nbsp;to me. &nbsp;My wife heard this and said no way. &nbsp; The Sapphires seemd very similiar is this sense. &nbsp;However, I was unable to listen to them for an extended time tgat day due to work. &nbsp; &nbsp;Another thing, a very efficient speaker is not always better. &nbsp;They tend to sound louder, but not always better. &nbsp;

What ever you do, spend some extended time listening. &nbsp;You may find that this will determine the clear winner. &nbsp;If they have some VR 965 left, give them a listen. They have built in subs that do a great job. &nbsp;

Shinerman.............</font>

A

almostleo

Audiophyte
Boston all the way!

I hate to be an ad guy for a company but I have to recommend BA to you. I really have not audiotioned the Sapphire range but I have many others.. I used to work for Ultimate Electronics for a while. I think what the Boston loses out in Low end power it more than makes up for in terms of accuracy and imaging. In any case, I would hope that you get a subwoofer for the low end frequencies so thats not something that should keep you from the BA. I have listened to Klipsches and yes they have quite a punch, but the mid seems way to muddy as compared to the Bostons. I decided on the VR-940s finally. Set the crossover on your receiver to 60 or 50 and place the speakers between 6-12 feet.. depending on your room size. I guarantee you nirvana!

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Be aware that not all side firing woofer speakers are equal. Some do it well others not so well. It can sometimes be difficult to get them to sound right once in your room. Sapphires are a house brand for Tweeter stores and the other companies under their corporate umbella.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I am personally not a fan of sapphire. I don't believe they represent a good value. Too many other speakers seem to outperform them in clarity, detail, and accuracy.

Therefore, I would recommend the Boston. When you consider the price difference, it's well worth it. For the difference in the system price, you can get a very nice subwoofer from HSU,Adire, or STS which would easily outperform the built-in subs of the sapphires. If you choose to forgo the surrounds and use your old JBLs (which isn't a terrible idea), you can easily afford a fantastic sub from the same companies.

Definately, I consider Boston the better bet...keep in mind that you're comparing speakers from two different price ranges (even at orig retail...BAs suggested retail was $700 I believe). This should say something about sapphire's value.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
BTW, this guy bought the sapphires a log time ago. This thread is from 2003. :D

Shinerman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis