Sanus Systems CFR127 55" Tall AV Rack Mini-Review

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hello all. I recently purchased a rack that most have not seen or considered, and I thought I would post a mini-review about it with some pics and my initial impressions. I didn't take a lot of pictures as I was setting it up, so most of my pics are of it set up with the shelves arranged as I desired.

After deciding not to go with permanent DIY shelves for my new system setup, I started looking at racks and stands. Eventually, after looking at everything from the value-oriented to the excessive, I purchased the Sanus CFR127 because I wanted to get a true rack for its flexibility/modularity.

This rack appeared to be the absolute best value because it included eight shelves (5 1U and 3 3U) and eight blanking panels (also 5 1U and 3 3U), along with a locking glass door and lots of removable panels for running wires and setting everything up.

I ordered the rack from Amazon.com for $622 with free shipping (it has since gone up to $638 and is currently out of stock). This was a pretty good deal considering the retail price of $800, especially because this retail price is far lower than most competition, even without the shelves and panels.

It shipped about two days later via truck freight. It took about a week to get from Ohio over here to the west coast. The shipping company phoned me on a Friday and scheduled the delivery for a Monday, and they were kind enough to let me know they would call me 30 minutes before so I could run home from work and wouldn't have to hang out at home for an entire morning waiting for them. They were very polite and professional.

It arrived on a pallet in a small-refrigerator-sized cardboard box. I checked it for damage and the shipping fellow was on his way.

I assumed there would be a large amount of assembly required, but it turns out, after stripping off the outside box, there wasn't much that needed doing. Score!

The only assembly that was actually required was to attach the heavy duty casters and leveling feet. They went on relatively easy and they are beefy enough to handle anything you can throw at it. Instructions were pretty much useless, but I had no use for them anyway, as everything is pretty straightforward with this thing. It was strongly recommended to always use the leveling feet for stability and safety once it is positioned, rather than allowing it to rest on the casters.

The rack came populated with all of its shelves and blanking panels installed, and with the back panel screwed on. After removing the back panel and setting it aside, I went to removing the shelves and panels and configuring it for my gear. As is standard for most EIA-spec racks (which this one basically conforms to), there are front and back mounting points for shelves, panels, and/or rails. I mounted three extra shelves, including one in the reverse direction just in case I needed them (which I did) and even had two 1U shelves and a 1U blanking panel left over. As a note, I was able to directly mount my power conditioner, which would have otherwise taken up one more shelf.

The metal is tapped directly for each mounting point, unlike some of the more expensive rack options that have replaceable threaded inserts or captive nuts. I am certain this is a compromise that was needed to keep the price low. One just has to take greater care not to strip out the threads, as this will result in yelling and throwing things, as well as probably needing to drill out the hole and using a nut to correct the issue. Fortunately, I was able to get it configured without such problems.

I got all of my gear installed and wired up, and the little cable management that I did was a breeze (I could have probably done a bit more, but I was ready to get things up and running). There are plenty of locations for velcro straps or zip-ties to keep things neat, as you can see.

Also, the side panels release with ease. Two spring clips release each panel. These can be removed for extra cooling, further wire management, or any other occasional adjustment that is necessary. The back panel screws on with 8 screws, so for post-setup tweaking, the side panels and the front give the quickest, most painless access. As a side note, the side panels may rattle if the system is cranked up, but if so, this will be easily remedied by some foam bumpers around the panels.

With the gear installed, it was time to put it in its final resting place. Unfortunately, I had about zero clearance the rack in the closet, and I was forced to move all the wires from exiting the small holes in the back frame to one of the removable panels on the top of the rack. These panels are also needed if you have cables that are too big to fit through the small wire holes in back (as was the case for the ferrite cores on my HDMI cables). The results are not quite as pretty with all the cables coming out of the top, but that was my only option and it works quite well. There is also an identical panel on the bottom of the rack, and also a larger panel on top that can be removed for extra cooling or wiring.

Speaking of cooling, there are vents on the face of the rack to allow natural convection to pull any heat up and out, and all the shelves are perforated to allow air flow. I will see in time how effective this is (coupled with the wire panel removed) once things get fired up in there.

The glass door in front has a locking handle to provide a little security and safety.

My only gripe is that I cannot leave the handle unlocked, as the key cannot be removed in the unlocked position and the handle will not set back into the door with the key removed and in the locked position.

This causes issues for me because of my absolute zero-clearance between the rack and the closet door.

Overall, I think this rack is a great value and includes everything one needs to get their system set up, and it looks great, too! Build quality is also excellent. It is far more solid than I expected, and I have very high standards (aka enginerd/quality snob). There is also plenty of room to fit almost any amount of gear one could collect, and enough removable panels to keep that gear cool. I would definitely give it my highest recommendation!

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I am almost sold on this thing, but the gripe about the key is a real bummer. What a silly design (mistake) IMO. Thanks so much for the review.

strube

strube

I am almost sold on this thing, but the gripe about the key is a real bummer. What a silly design (mistake) IMO. Thanks so much for the review.
I hear ya. It just seems stupid. After looking at all of the time and thought put into the rest of the design, you would think they would have noticed it themselves.

That said, I guess am okay with having to use the keys each time because I am so pleased with how the rest of it turned out. Also, if I had clearance I would probably just leave it unlocked and let the handle hang out a little. I can actually get away with that as long as I avoid opening the opposite closet door.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I suppose I might be fine with taking the door off completely. We will see, but in any case, thanks for even putting this product on the radar for me. As long as I don't add any more components, I won't need it yet. Of course, soon as I do add something, it could mean a double whammy to the wallet. :eek::p

R

ryanmathre

Audiophyte
Hi Strube,

Thank you for the thorough review and positive feedback on the Sanus CFR127 AV Rack. Sanus has invested a lot of time observing and interviewing installers to design our Foundations AV Rack series. Utilizing continued feedback we will continue to refine and develop products to meet our customer’s needs.

Based on your and other feedback, we have implemented a design change to address functionality of the key lock. CFR127 racks produced going forward will have the ability to remove the keys when in the unlocked position.

After consulting with installers during the design process we found a majority preferred our method of tapping directly into the metal over captive nuts-- which can make installation more difficult. Based on this, our design team chose to use this method to help with ease of installation as we have found our solution provides a better installation experience for customers.

Thanks again for your feedback. If you have any other comments or design recommendations please let us know.

Best,
Ryan Mathre
Sanus

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, that's great ryanmathre. The odds of me purchasing this as a future rack have just doubled, at the least.

You should provide strubey with a free replacement lock for his great review. :D

strube

strube

Hi Strube,

Thank you for the thorough review and positive feedback on the Sanus CFR127 AV Rack. Sanus has invested a lot of time observing and interviewing installers to design our Foundations AV Rack series. Utilizing continued feedback we will continue to refine and develop products to meet our customer’s needs.

Based on your and other feedback, we have implemented a design change to address functionality of the key lock. CFR127 racks produced going forward will have the ability to remove the keys when in the unlocked position.

After consulting with installers during the design process we found a majority preferred our method of tapping directly into the metal over captive nuts-- which can make installation more difficult. Based on this, our design team chose to use this method to help with ease of installation as we have found our solution provides a better installation experience for customers.

Thanks again for your feedback. If you have any other comments or design recommendations please let us know.

Best,
Ryan Mathre
Sanus
It was great to hear from you Ryan! I am glad my review was useful. As an OCD, perfectionist enginerd type, I greatly appreciate a company that actively participates in customer feedback to improve their product. I am even more likely to recommend your products in the future based on this!

The design decision for direct tapped holes makes sense completely for ease of installation. I also appreciate the decision from the perspective that it kept the product cost down on my end, as I know how much of a relative cost increase captive nuts would have been.

I would be very interested in a new lock/latch mechanism once your design changes are implemented, so keep me posted on that. It does not appear that it is too difficult to change out.

Have a great one, and thanks again for your response!

Best Regards,
Strube

R

ryanmathre

Audiophyte
I can definitely keep you updated on the lock design change and get you the new lock system when it is available.

Interestingly enough, the production cost associated with directly tapping holes is actually three to four times expensive as captive nuts because we have to individually drill every hole on the rack rail and then redrill each one after paint is applied. Captive nut holes can be punched in one pass using a 100 to 200 press machine, making the process more cost effective. This is why many lower-end rack systems typically use captive nuts and higher-end offerings use a direct tapping system.

Thanks again!

Ryan

strube

strube

I can definitely keep you updated on the lock design change and get you the new lock system when it is available.

Interestingly enough, the production cost associated with directly tapping holes is actually three to four times expensive as captive nuts because we have to individually drill every hole on the rack rail and then redrill each one after paint is applied. Captive nut holes can be punched in one pass using a 100 to 200 press machine, making the process more cost effective. This is why many lower-end rack systems typically use captive nuts and higher-end offerings use a direct tapping system.

Thanks again!

Ryan
Ah yes. The captive nuts I had in my head included retainer cradles welded to the back of the rack rails at each mounting point to hold the nuts, which is where I was imagining the production cost increase - obviously without those retainers and all of that welding, the cost is lower than for tapped holes.

Thanks for keeping me posted on the lock. Have a great weekend!

Strube

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis