sand filled speaker stands

J

JOEH50

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>hello all,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;can someone explain the reason to fill speaker stands with sand or other medium. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;thanks</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>The general concept is to dampen vibrations. &nbsp;It's called mass loading.

In theory mass loading speakers is supposed to dampen vibrations and minimize doppler distortion. &nbsp;In practice I'm guessing doppler distortion in most speakers would be pretty minor compared to all the other types of distortion!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Doppler distortion in loudspeakers is generally a myth. &nbsp;Time permitting I may write something on this in the future.

Many loudspeakers which offer the mass loading feature are usually not braced well enough and require extra stability to dampen cabinet resonances. &nbsp;This may be a good compromise to cut down production costs and let the customer provide the added stability to their liking should they find it necessary.

My recommendation is to at least try it assuming your speakers have that feature.

As for speaker stands, I always recommend mass loading them, especially if they are metal, to prevent unwanted resonances or ringing. &nbsp;Dry sand is usually the most economical choice, just try not to spill any on the floor &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis