B

Bdog

Enthusiast
What is the difference between Samsung pn50b650 and pn50b560? My main concern is pic. quality. I will be connecting to Yamaha htr-6160, so sound is a non issue. Looks like most folks here prefer Panasonics. How does p50g10 fit with the other two? I have to replace old crt screen, am just starting to research. Any help or suggestions in this price range would be appreciated!

G

GTOhaas07

Audioholic Intern
I have the 650 and love it. When I compared it to the Panasonics in its price range, I thought the Samsung had the better picture. The 650 has a better contrast ratio. It also has the internet widget thing. You can get yahoo weather and other apps as well as YouTube. Just going off of memory here, but I believe the 650 also has a different anti-glare coating. Both have the touch of color, the 650 is red while the 560 is gray. It's subtle and I personally like it.

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
The pn50b650 is supposed to have better blacks and a better dynamic contrast ratio.

C

clouso

Banned
I have the 650 and love it. When I compared it to the Panasonics in its price range, I thought the Samsung had the better picture. The 650 has a better contrast ratio. It also has the internet widget thing. You can get yahoo weather and other apps as well as YouTube. Just going off of memory here, but I believe the 650 also has a different anti-glare coating. Both have the touch of color, the 650 is red while the 560 is gray. It's subtle and I personally like it.
sorry to burst your bubble here but according to many expert reviews the g10 is a better display in all aspects then the samsungs plasma...better blacks ..better contrast and better overall PQ...

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I own a Panasonic and one thing that I've noticed about Panny's in general is their tendency to lean a little heavily toward red/green color saturation. To the standard consumer this may be a non-issue because the effect is rather subtle, but I've noticed it myself, plus have seen and read other professional reviews that indicate similar results. Took me a bit of tweaking with the colors and a good reference video calibration disc, but I got it looking pretty good. Overall, PQ is outstanding and it's a great display. Why Panasonic for me over the others? My answer is reliability. The way I look at it, a television that costs anymore than $1000 is not just a TV, but an investment, and I wanted to invest my money in something that has a proven track record. In my previous job, I installed dozens of flat screens, and my company (a well respected A/V division of broadcasting giant Media General) held Panny's in very high regards. We almost never received any trouble calls on these sets, even though they were often installed in rather unique situations, depending on client needs. That said, I was probably a bit biased from the get go when it came time to buy my own, but still - it was a choice based on personal experience and in the research I conducted on all brands. I do believe the newer Samsung models these days are an improvement with respect to reliability issues, but that came a bit late in the ball game for me as I had already purchased the Panny.

G

GTOhaas07

Audioholic Intern
sorry to burst your bubble here but according to many expert reviews the g10 is a better display in all aspects then the samsungs plasma...better blacks ..better contrast and better overall PQ...
Good for them. I went to four different stores when I was shopping for my tv, and at every one I thought the 650 looked better than the G10. And I did get to change the settings of all the tvs off of torch mode. I thought the image of the Samsung was sharper and looked better to me in all regards. So if you're happy with expert reviews, thats great. I'll trust my eyes.

And on an aesthetic note, none of the Panasonics could compare with any of the Samsungs. Just another plus for me.

BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
Both B560 and B650 have better color accuracy and many more picture controls. They also refresh 24P sources at 96Hz (Like the Panny V10 and Z1) while the G10 at only 48hz (enough to get rid of judder but can introduce flickering).

C

clouso

Banned
Good for them. I went to four different stores when I was shopping for my tv, and at every one I thought the 650 looked better than the G10. And I did get to change the settings of all the tvs off of torch mode. I thought the image of the Samsung was sharper and looked better to me in all regards. So if you're happy with expert reviews, thats great. I'll trust my eyes.

And on an aesthetic note, none of the Panasonics could compare with any of the Samsungs. Just another plus for me.
dont worry i also trusted my eyes..lol..i just wanted to let know the OP about experts reviews...peace.:)

G

GTOhaas07

Audioholic Intern
dont worry i also trusted my eyes..lol..i just wanted to let know the OP about experts reviews...peace.:)
Fair enough. At the end of the day, what one likes is the most important thing.

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
The Samsung 560 has Awesome picture on both standard and HiDef TV, the hd pictures are amazing. I've been using it for a year and im happy so far.

G

gixx0r

Enthusiast
A couple of differences between the two. One being the 650 has the Color Management System "CMS", the 650 also has the Ultra Filter Bright AR which will potentially give you slightly better blacks. It has 3,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio instead of 2,000,000 to 1 on the 560. Also the 650 has TOC Red with the power button located on the right side face instead of the bottom middle. I believe is the stock speakers on the 560 is 15Wx2 which the 650 has 10Wx2. The 650 has an ethernet port but the 560 is wifi capable with an adapter.

That's all I can think about now but I just bought the 560 this afternoon :)

Hope that helps. I just boug

G

GTOhaas07

Audioholic Intern
A couple of differences between the two. One being the 650 has the Color Management System "CMS", the 650 also has the Ultra Filter Bright AR which will potentially give you slightly better blacks. It has 3,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio instead of 2,000,000 to 1 on the 560. Also the 650 has TOC Red with the power button located on the right side face instead of the bottom middle. I believe is the stock speakers on the 560 is 15Wx2 which the 650 has 10Wx2. The 650 has an ethernet port but the 560 is wifi capable with an adapter.

That's all I can think about now but I just bought the 560 this afternoon :)

Hope that helps. I just boug
I'm running wifi on my 650 with the same adapter.

B

Bdog

Enthusiast
On the way!

Got a great deal on the 650. Should be here in a few days. Halon, you mentioned a calibration disc. Please enlighten me, do I need it? If so can you recommend? Thanks to all for your input!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis