Samsung LN46B550K1F

R

realmike15

Audiophyte
What do you guys think about this Samsung 46" LCD? I'm looking for a good deal on an LCD, something with a lot of bang for the buck.

Samsung LN46B550K1F
$879.99 @ Besty Buy

Things that are important to me in order of importance
Sharpness (I have a very sensitive eye for pixelated images)
Color Contrast (I love vibrant, natural colors)
Screen Size (I don't really want anything below 40)
Black Levels (Still important, but as long as they aren't blatantly grey, it's ok)

I originally was going to save for one of the new LED-Backlits... but even a 40" is just way more money than I want to spend. I'm a photographer and if you've ever seen the price of good lenses, you can see why I don't have a ton of money to blow on a TV. I don't want to wait for LED-Backlit to fall in price... I'm still using a Sony SDTV and I'm honestly just sick of it. Sony used to have my heart but I think Samsung makes a nicer LCD. Size of the enclosure of the tv DOES NOT matter... i couldn't care of it's 1 inch thick of 5 inches thick. Picture Quality and getting the largest screen for my budget are my two main concerns. The fact that for a $120 more I can get a 46" instead of a 40" makes me think the 46" is well worth the extra money.

Please I need some pro help here!

Couple of extra things... I hate 120Mhz technology. It makes everyone look unnatural when they move. Your eye sight naturally blurs when you something moves by you quickly, so in my opinion 120Mhz is very distracting to look at.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Reviews on Amazon (which is a bit cheaper, btw) are excellent. If screen reflection from a shiny screen is a concern, I'd recommend looking at one of the Samsung's with a mat finish on the screen such as the LN46B530. Unfortunately, I think that will cause a decrease in color contrast.

Are you set on LCD versus plasma?

R

realmike15

Audiophyte
I have a MacBook pro which uses a glass screen... I actually like glossy. I imagine if it really bothered me I would just close the curtains. I'm not against Plasma but I've always liked LCD more.

R

roshi

Audioholic
I don't know about glossy or matte screen, I do know that that is a nice TV for the price. Friend of mine got it for $1300 a year ago, and it is a nice TV. I was gonna suggest the 600 series with 120Hz, but you mentioned that you don't like that, so definitely go for this one.

R

realmike15

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna do a little more research on the set.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis