Samsung Lip Sync Issue

T

The Dodge

Audiophyte
I have a Samsung LN55B650 and I have started having Lip Sync problems and I don't know how to fix it. Everything is fine on DVD and some BD are fine as well. Then some BD are really bad(Sherlock Holmes, and Terminator Salvation are VERY BAD). I have a Denon 591 AVR and a Samsung BD-C5500 and everything is up to date on the firmware. I have noticed if I turn the Auto Motion Plus off(60hz instead of 120hz) it is better, but not all the way. Anyone know what could be causing the problem? I have two $50(1 Meter) Belkin High Speed HDMI Cables from my TV to AVR and from my AVR to my Blu-Ray Player. The sound happens before the picture. I have talked to Samsung Support and they said I have a defective TV cause this is the first case they have heard of(BULL SH$T. . .there is stuff all over about this). If anyone has some experience with this problem, please help me :(

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well, believe it or not, some movies out there are not synced very well, and I think I've read about certain DVDs being very bad. Yes, there is a standard for sync/time, but obviously they don't all adhere very well.

However, regarding Auto Motion Plus, that is an algorithm for Frame Interpolation. It will try to take your 24fps source, or 60fps source, and then try to fake the inbetween frames. I suppose, say your tv is natively 120fps. That means with 24 (read: bluray and dvd) there is a the potential possibility of faking out 96 frames for every second. Can you imagine how much processing power that would take? Then again, if it's being done per true second, I guess there still shouldn't be any sync issues.

You need to calibrate for your sync in your receiver, and for every* source too.

Try to get your hands on a DVE bluray, I believe it has something for sync.

Otherwise, you gotta eyeball it to some reference. Google "clapperboard lip sync".

The last straw is to not pay attention to it. I was at my brother's recently, and the sync was out of whack. Not insanely bad, but enough for me to notice. I just decided not to notice anymore.

T

The Dodge

Audiophyte
I think I might be onto something but I'm not quite sure. I reset my TV, Blu-ray Player and AVR and ran the Audyssey Calibration on the AVR. . . . .still nothing. So I went into the setting's on my AVR and adjusted the Audio Delay to 200ms and it really helped. . . .but when I set it back to 0ms its back to the same problem before. . . . .need to do some more research I guess!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis