Samsung BD Problem Playing DVDs

K

kbone78

Audiophyte
I have a Samsung BD-EM59C connected directly to a Samsung LNT4066 LCD TV. I have no problems when playing a Bluray disc, but when I try to play any other content (netflix, home media server, DVDs), the video signal will go out and the TV goes blank and says it's searching for signal. Audio is no issue as I have it connected directly to the receiver with an optical out. It continues on even while there's no video signal.

First thought is it could be the HDMI cable, but I can't figure why it only happens on DVDs? The cable is a Belden FE series from BlueJeansCable at 25' and run through the wall. Any ideas?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since it is only DVDs, it isn't likely to be the cable. There's a good chance it is a setting issue or a firmware issue. Do you have the latest firmware? Check all of your video settings first in the player's menu. Make sure they are set to "auto" or "upscale" depending on the options for each. There may be separate settings for DVD vs BD as well.

You can eliminate the cable as an issue by connecting it directly with a shorter cable.

Connecting it to the TV and then the receiver means you lose out on lossless audio, unless your receiver has no HDMI. If it does have HDMI, go through the receiver and then to the TV.

K

kbone78

Audiophyte
You can eliminate the cable as an issue by connecting it directly with a shorter cable.

Connecting it to the TV and then the receiver means you lose out on lossless audio, unless your receiver has no HDMI. If it does have HDMI, go through the receiver and then to the TV.
So I've got it hooked up temporarily with a short cable and it hasn't lost signal. So I guess it could still be a cable issue. I have everything on the player set to Auto, but that doesn't seem to help. Any other ideas? Could it be a problem with up scaling in the player? Maybe a better bluray player would fix it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like it is the cable then. I'd check with bluejeans and see what they say. I used one of their 25' in-wall cables in my parents house and it had a similar issue only with certain sources, not different types of media on the same source and only when using a HDMI switch in between, not when directly connected. It may be as simple as using an inline signal booster, but I'd see what they recommend.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The first thing I would try is to replug in the original cable. Sometimes, if things are not plugged in all the way, there can be a problem, and it could be that the cable got slightly pulled loose rather than that it is defective.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first thing I would try is to replug in the original cable. Sometimes, if things are not plugged in all the way, there can be a problem, and it could be that the cable got slightly pulled loose rather than that it is defective.
But I would not expect it to be fine with one media type and not for others then; it would be a problem for all of them IMO.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
But I would not expect it to be fine with one media type and not for others then; it would be a problem for all of them IMO.

Yes, one would normally expect that it would be a problem with all media, if it were a cable problem at all. But he claims that changing the cable fixed the problem, and so we are left to consider whether there is something wrong with the cable. However, many "cable" problems are a problem with the thing not being properly connected at the end, and so re-plugging the cable in could fix a "cable" problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis