Salk Speakers Going Out of Business

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
My son just gave me the greatest gift. A set of Salk Song Tower Speakers. He upgraded to some of the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen. Song 3 Encore in Koa. I have had a pair of Boston Acoustics VS260's for about 12 years now. I just called Salk to see if I could get some grill covers and his wife said their last day is this Friday. Does anyone know where I could get a couple of grill covers for the Salk Song Towers? The pictures don't do the Koa justice. Those are the exact ones my son got. The Song Towers are the same as the pictures. Black with rosewood on the bottom fronts. They sound great with a sub. Such a bummer they are not going to make those great speakers anymore.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My son just gave me the greatest gift. A set of Salk Song Tower Speakers. He upgraded to some of the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen. Song 3 Encore in Koa. I have had a pair of Boston Acoustics VS260's for about 12 years now. I just called Salk to see if I could get some grill covers and his wife said their last day is this Friday. Does anyone know where I could get a couple of grill covers for the Salk Song Towers? The pictures don't do the Koa justice. Those are the exact ones my son got. The Song Towers are the same as the pictures. Black with rosewood on the bottom fronts. They sound great with a sub. Such a bummer they are not going to make those great speakers anymore.
The best thing to do is to make the grills yourself, it is not difficult.

This is how.

Take a piece of 1/4" plywood. Cut it to the size of the black area of the front of the speaker. Now you cut this board with the board just measuring the width of the narrowest dimension between a speaker frame and the outside of the speaker.

Now paint the wood with matt black paint. This way you won't see the frame through the grill fabric.

Now you need to place small magnets, about six on each frame. Carefully drill into the back of the frame for the magnets, but don't drill right through the frame.
Now glue a magnet in each hole. When the glue is dry place another magnet on each of the magnets glued in the frame.

Now put a little paint on each magnet, and carefully place it correctly on the speaker.

Now take a punch, and on each paint spot with a hammer, make a small indentation in the center of each paint spot. Now drill holes just deep enough so the magnets are flush with the cabinet.

Now take your speaker grill cloth, and cut it wider than the frame so you can fold it round the frame.

Now you take your staple gun and neatly staple the cloth to the back of the frame. Make sure you staple it under tension, so it does not crease. You want it good and tight.

With a sharp blade, make small openings in the cloth on the back of the frame, to glue the magnets into the frame. Make good and sure you glue them the right way round so they are north to south with the magnets on the speaker. You want the magnets to attract and not repel!

When the glue has dried you are ready to place the grills on your speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis