D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think when you press two PB4000s into the backs of each of your chairs... ;) Maybe just a little?

Dennis is preferring the BMR, modified with the Raal turned 90 degrees, horizontal orientation, as a center over the MTM (not that there's anything wrong with it). Better voice matching and dispersion all around, as I recall the conversation. When he sugested it, I was all over it! I personally prefer a 3-way design, and the other rigs I was considering all had 3-way Centers... so it was one more nail in the... shipping crate!

Now what would really be cool, is if he had a double woofer model of the BMR as a Center option! o_O Ha!

Those speakers are supposed to be great, and the guy that hosted me for auditioning the Phil 3's said there are some things he prefers the BMRs for over the 3s. When I told him the plan of having the BMRs and 3's all paired up I could see his brain start working. That said, his center looked a lot like the Song3 Center from Salk, which he said Dennis recommended to him at the time. I don't recall how long he had the gear tho, but at least 3-4 years based on how old his kids were.

I'm still a week away from getting anything, I think. I know he just got a shipment of Raals, and says he's gonna try to get a pair out to me as soon as he can. *fingers crossed Hopefully the front3 will all come together.
Listen putting 2 PB 4000's into the backs of your chairs isn't crazy AT ALL buddy! It definetly is eargasmic though. Sounds soooooo goooooood! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
H
It won't make a difference. The subwoofer crawl is a fairly crude way of determining sub placement. It's better than randomly placing the sub anywhere at least. If you try it, use a pink noise that is only being replayed on the subs to find good locations. Listen for when the noise sounds the fullest and most tonally balanced.
Hey Shady in your opinion what is the best way to determine optimal sub placement? Just curious on your thoughts you don't need to go into crazy detail just a quick statement based on your experience. Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
H

Hey Shady in your opinion what is the best way to determine optimal sub placement? Just curious on your thoughts you don't need to go into crazy detail just a quick statement based on your experience. Thanks!
Microphone and laptop... good sub integration takes that and IMHO outboard eq like the minidsp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ordering the matching Salk/Rythmik 15" subs. At this point it just comes down to aesthetics, as the distortion numbers are really good in the music range, with plenty of headroom. Waiting on the configuration options from Jim to start the order. I'll still run the towers only when at the MLP, add the subs when needed for entertaining.
You notice this post @Alex2507 is the only one with a friendly rating? Gotta feeling he is wanting me to upgrade soon for personal gain.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Listen putting 2 PB 4000's into the backs of your chairs isn't crazy AT ALL buddy! It definetly is eargasmic though. Sounds soooooo goooooood! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I was wondering where you been, Danzilla! ;)
I said screw the speakers and am sitting in a 5' equilateral triangle with my 2 X-13s. Got them turned down to -18dB just to listen for more than 5 minutes! Also finally pulled a bung on each and have them in extended mode now.
Bumped some Pipe Organ yesterday. And Laika Come Home. OOF! You should check out that link Danzilla! While you're sitting on your 4000's! Track one and five are pretty... fun (iirc).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
H

Microphone and laptop... good sub integration takes that and IMHO outboard eq like the minidsp.
Yup, just need to measure the response at different locations, and use the location that is less affected by nulls. Then EQ down the peaks. Ideally you wouldn't need to use EQ at all.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yup, just need to measure the response at different locations, and use the location that is less affected by nulls. Then EQ down the peaks. Ideally you wouldn't need to use EQ at all.
crawl it out to crudely find good locations, then test them? Just umik1 and REW?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
crawl it out to crudely find good locations, then test them? Just umik1 and REW?
The sub crawl is fine for kind of a starting point I guess, if you have lots of choices where a sub could go. Most people are limited in the possible locations that they can place a sub, so if they can measure, it's not even worth the time to go through the trouble. Just take a measurement at each spot and use that as a guide if you only have a handful of places that the sub could even go.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Have'nt done the mic and rew yet... waiting to have my speakers. how long does it take to run the measurements?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Have'nt done the mic and rew yet... waiting to have my speakers. how long does it take to run the measurements?
Not long, but the trick is learning how to use the software and equipment. But there are lots of good tutorials online.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I was wondering where you been, Danzilla! ;)
I said screw the speakers and am sitting in a 5' equilateral triangle with my 2 X-13s. Got them turned down to -18dB just to listen for more than 5 minutes! Also finally pulled a bung on each and have them in extended mode now.
Bumped some Pipe Organ yesterday. And Laika Come Home. OOF! You should check out that link Danzilla! While you're sitting on your 4000's! Track one and five are pretty... fun (iirc).
I'll for sure check it out!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not long, but the trick is learning how to use the software and equipment. But there are lots of good tutorials online.
Sorry, couple more: Do I need the minidsp to run the tests? Or is that just to eq the subs if I have a problem that can't be solved through placement? And that said, I see minidsp has products for managing eq for full HT aplications, including DiracLive. Is it worth testing everything before I decide on buying a product to EQ? Is DiracLive better than Audyssey (native in my Marantz, which I can add the app for another 20, but have heard people complain about)? Thanks again!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sorry, couple more: Do I need the minidsp to run the tests? Or is that just to eq the subs if I have a problem that can't be solved through placement? And that said, I see minidsp has products for managing eq for full HT aplications, including DiracLive. Is it worth testing everything before I decide on buying a product to EQ? Is DiracLive better than Audyssey (native in my Marantz, which I can add the app for another 20, but have heard people complain about)? Thanks again!
You don't need miniDSP to measure the responses, you just need a mic and a laptop. MiniDSP is what you need to EQ the subs. Dirac Live is way better than Audyssey, in fact I don't think Audyssey is even worth using. If you are intending to get a multiple sub setup, I would get a mic and try to find optimal placement. You might end up getting a satisfactory response without having to EQ anything.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis