safe rms load limit on the Klipsch RB-81 II

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
im looking to buy a pair of these to use as a duel 8in center for my sound system ,because iv not found any duel 8in center speaker to my liking beyond my current center which is the BIC

Acoustech PL-28II its ok but treble an mid bass is somewhat distorted an lacking some times i think in reguards to source content not so much the speaker or at least how it handles some at

loader volume so after reading some reviews an hearing them in a freinds system i was impressed enough to want to buy them but i want to make sure not over power them my current sound

setup is the outlaw audio 976 receiver an i use balanced xlr cables to my amps which are four crown xls 1002 one for each set of my speaker fronts ,center (only 1 channel of the 1002 in use

for center),sides ,and backs an one xls 1502 for my custom subs so im wondering if its safe to pump 215 watts into each of these as thats what the xls puts out at 8ohms

an what would be the best gain amount to set my xls 1002 at , iv currently have mines knob set at 3:00 an the signal input set -4db from the receiver

for ref the rest of my setups config is this my fronts PL-89 - 6db input an 2:00 on the gains

my sides an backs are the Rockville SPG88 8" 8 Ohm - 8db input an 12:00 on the gains

my subs are custom 17hz ported cabs each a with 15in audiopipe wired to 2 ohms at 775watts

set at full gain on my 1502 with -10db input an - 2db in sub trim

my room is 15ft by 20ft by 8ft im still working on custom bass traps

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The RB-81 II is spec'd for 150 watts RMS power handling. I would think that a 100 to 200 watt amp should be fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No real way for us to advise you on good gain settings for your particular gear. How are you doing it now?

johnny45

johnny45

Audioholic
No real way for us to advise you on good gain settings for your particular gear. How are you doing it now?
currently iv got my amp set at the 3:00 position and the signal input from the receiver at - 4db ,an for the most part

volume is good ,loud an clear an rearly do i use the eq mode but recently over the past year its grown more harsh

an srill with an without the eq mode even while playing content that once did not sound that way ,an iv'ed even

swaped the amp with the same one that drives my fronts connecting it to that same center output from the

receiver just to make sure that the amp or receiver had no bearing on the cause of distortion nor did adjusting the

gain on the amp, just for clarification the amp used for the center was tested with my fronts from the front

connections an the amp for the fronts was used with the center connections an postion with no change

so i can safly state that the center speaker is my source of the issue

hope thats not to much of a ramble

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis