political decision you decide &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Ray;

Where did you see this? &nbsp;I have the latest S&amp;V mag and have not seen a review for the 4ES in it. &nbsp;I also went to their website and its not there.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Its comming to a news stand near you soon

I got the news a little early
Cheers Ray</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hello Folks,

I am thoroughly disappointed with all of the negative commentary concerning the Sony STR-DA4ES. This is a very competent piece of equipment.

I recently purchased this receiver after months of research as I upgraded to HDTV. Of primary interest to me was the component video switching capability. I looked at the Denons, HK's, Onkyo's etc. I ended up choosing the str-da4es for its sound, feature set and because I am very familiar with Sony receivers.

After I told my Circuit City salesperson (an individual that I have bought from for 4 years now) that I was going with the da4es he was very disappointed and asked me to bring it into the CC show room when I got it so he could show me in a side by side comparison that I should have went with the HK AVR 525. We hooked up each receiver to the same equipment and used the same media to do the comparison. Well, the bottom line after the comparison is that I ended up liking the da4es even more. Even the CC rep was impressed. He stated that for the money ($699 shipped) that I could not have gotten a better receiver.

Now, as far as Sound and Vision goes, I think they made a grave error with their omission and weak explanation for not including the specs for all channels driven. Hopefully they will include it in the corrections area of next month’s magazine. However, the review was definitely on the positive side. Anyone that has actually read the review has to admit that the reviewer (Daniel Kumin) was impressed by the receiver. In his concluding paragraph Mr. Kumin states, &quot;In short the Sony STR-DA4ES is a powerful receiver that offers a wide range of useful features. If a highly capable audio/video control center is what you are looking for, be sure to check it out.&quot;

He also states the following:

High Points
-Impressive seven channel power and quality
-Independent crossover settings for each channel or pair
-Extensive EQ options
-Unusual, easy to use remote control
-Attractive, compact, nicely finished

Low Points
-Remote is nonlearning and some operations are cumbersome
-Only one channel-balance memory

Since Sound and Vision has a history of exposing electronics shortcomings, why would they not expose the da4es now? Especially if the da4es only delivered 1/8 power to all channels! This whole debate is very interesting and I hope that we can get to the bottom of it very soon. Until then, if you are in the market for a da4es you will not be disappointed.

gammite
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis