rxv2500 set up for my definitive technology speakers

C

chadd

Junior Audioholic
I went through the ypoa feature on my yamaha and it automatically set my speakers to the following: Fronts bp7006/large, center clr2002/small, surrounds bp2x/small. Okay ready for some questions?

Should I change them all to large? Should I change any other settings that the ypoa set? Should I hook up the lfe to my bp7006's or should I leave them as is?

Also I have a set of aw100's, should I install these as my rear surrounds? If yes should I let the ypoa set the size?

So dont be shy, please give me your input. Thanks!:)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Speaker setup

Chad,
The Yamaha auto-setup is great for setting the speaker distance and SPL level, but sometimes you have to tweak the other settings. It sounds like you don't have a sub and your mains are full range, so LARGE would be appropriate. Make sure that the center and surrounds are set to SMALL, sub to off, and a crossover of 80 Hz would probably work well.
If you add a good sub from SVS or HSU, you might find that it handles the LFE better than the mains and set them to SMALL to enable the crossover.

Also check the Parametric EQ setting and compare the system with EQ ON/OFF. Experiment with the settings and enjoy the HT.

C

chadd

Junior Audioholic
jc

My towers have built in subs and lfe inputs. Should I use these lfe inputs?
Thanks for the other suggestions, I will try them.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
No, you don't need the LFE connection. With no sub setting in the receiver, it automatically routes the LFE to the L/R mains.

C

chadd

Junior Audioholic
cool

Then no lfe it is, unless i pick up a couple of subs.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
It just dawned on me that if you were to add the LFE connections, you would have better control over the LFE signal. In other words, if you wanted to boost the LFE signal a couple of dBs, you could do it through the receiver's channel level adjustments. I would prefer this setup if it's going to be awhile before you purchase a sub. You will need a Y-adapter (1 male to 2 female) to split the signal out of the receiver's sub pre-out.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub connections

I agree, use a Y splitter and a couple of cables to connect the LFE output from the receiver to the LFE inputs on your towers. In the receiver, set the Sub to ON and Mains to SMALL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis