amadeo

amadeo

Enthusiast
i have a combo of the yamaha rxv 2500 (use it as a pre)
and a rotel rmb 1095 200 watt power amp ...........

i was wondering what is the regular level of volume you put your receiver on for me it is -30 for music and for movies it is -20 sometimes less depending on my dvd some times in movies i go till about -10

why is it that other receivers with just one slight turn of the volume of the knob sthe sound increases greatly ...

with the yamaha receiver you have to keepturning the knob from -80 till you get to an audible sound at -60 and my best level of listening -30 i could turn it up more with my beutiful JBL ti6k speakers rated at 300watts but my walls are vertualy see through soo the whole block could hear what i am puting in my cds let alone my neighbors.......

and i was woundering what is the receivers limit (ok ) volume before it starts to sweat ........is it below zero ....could i listen to movies at zero level without
huting my receiver

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I just use the amp section in the 2500 and I wouldn't want to watch a movie any louder than the -15dB setting. That would be cranking and my wife would be yelling at me (although I wouldn't be able to hear her) and even I would not stay at that volume for long. I do have Klipsch speakers which have very high efficiency 97dB or higher across the front. If you are using an external amp, you can crank the receiver and never worry about hurting it. What you would need to worry about killing would be your speakers or your power amp.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
It really depends what kind of a load the speakers present to the amp section of the reciever. Try listening at the levels you like. If your sound starts getting "harsh", where the highs start to get painful (but the other frequencies are still okay sounding), that's the sign that your amp is starting to clip. This is a bad thing as it is possible to cook your drivers, especially that pretty titanium dome. If you find that you want this much volume or more, then it's time for external amplification. The good news is, the RX-V2500 is known to have excellent preamp outputs so you shouldn't have any issues as long as you use some high-quality external stuff.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis