RXV 2400 Presense Speaker Output

M

Mclectra

Audiophyte
:confused: Just purchased the above and trying for many hours to hear the difference when a couple of surrounds are hooked up, but not much at all. Had to put my ear close to the speaker to even find out that it is on. It does
not go on but a few modes. Perhaps it is too new that Yamaha still need to work on it? At present, I feel that Presense is only a new word. Please advise if anyone has better experience. Thank you.

I am New in the game.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I had a similar problem with my RX-V1400. Originally they would only play the rear surround channels. I eventually solved the problem by going throught the complete set-up procedure a couple of times and ensuring the zone two was turned off. Normally they will play what comes out of the fronts, but there are some movies that actually have channel or whatever for them. LOTR ROTK has some effects through them, mostly in the main battle scene at Minas Tirth (spelling?). That is the only time I ever heard something different than the fronts. A whistling sound as a boulder comes flying toward a large orc.

In the set up procedure make sure you have the volume set to the same as the fronts too.

M

Mclectra

Audiophyte
Rxv 2400 Presense

Thanks for the info. Just learned more about the RXV 2400, which is misleading the 2400 has only 7 amps, therefore it can only support the presense spkrs. or the rear spkrs. and not both at the same time, that explain why the presense is not on in most
of the different modes. I am still trying to find out how to keep the values that I programmed manually. It seem to change every time I go back to check it specially the distances.

All the Best,

MClectra

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
"I am still trying to find out how to keep the values that I programmed manually. It seem to change every time I go back to check it specially the distances"

Have a look on p.48 of the RX-V2400 manual, especially item #5 on exiting the set-up; this may help.

Initially I used the YPAO for the initial Automatic setup and then switched over to the Manual mode to refine the sound pressure levels using a Radio Shack meter (works great!). I can also remember though (it's been a few months) that when scrolling thru the manual setup procedure that there were one or two functions that had been previously set that changed without me commanding them to do so. For example: when using the down arrow to arrive at 'Room'size followed by the plus symbol (+) to access the current display setting the previous setting changed from lets say, 'M' to 'L'. without my input! So I had to change 'L' back to 'M' using the minus sign and then key the 'down' arrow to continue through the set up procedure. I used 'Room' size as an example but this could also have happened when setting 'speaker size'. Hope you understand the thought I'm trying to convey :confused: .

Another item that I noticed after I bought the amp were the 'Note's and illuminated light bulb symbols in the manual; they often contained more important info than that in the standard text - very useful.

This is probably a result of the source data rather than the amp but I've found that advancing that Center speaker level a notch or two will significantly help in hearing the dialogue in many movie DVD's.

Just some thoughts, hope this helps...

-GeorgeM

M

Mclectra

Audiophyte
Rxv 2400 settings

Hi GM,

Many thanks for your help. I will try your recommendations. I am glad that I am not the only one who would like to hear more dialogue out of the center spkr. I am able to use the TV spkrs. to do this as an extra center, it works
very nicely. You might want to try it, to suit your taste.

All the Best,

MC lectra

X

xanteen

Enthusiast
1400 wierdness?

One question for you guys with RX-V1400/2400 -- When does your sub come on while listening to music? I just bought a Velodyne DLS-3500 and it dooesn't seem to want to come on in "Direct" mode, only in the DSP modes. Does this thing only power those two channels and not the sub out in this mode? I checked the manual and can't find anything that refers to direct mode and sub operation...

As far as the presence speakers, i think it's pretty clear, even on Yamaha's website, that this is a 7 channel amp and that it's a one-or-the-other situation with those pressence channels...

I've only got 5 speakers and the sub and have been impressed with the sound, though I sometimes get up and check to see if the surrounds are doing anything. It seems most of the time they, quietly waiting to scare the **** out of me with some explosion. Otherwise, they're just playing what the fronts are playing at a softer volume.

Best-
Xant

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Xant: p.33 of the RX-V2400 manual, under 'Listening to high fidelity stereo sound (Direct Stereo) states under 'Notes' that using this mode (Direct Stereo) 'No sound will be output from the subwoofer."

p.43 lists the results that can be expected from selecting specific Sound Fields for music.

If you have some reading time, it would probably be worthwhile to scan through a long thread that originated last January. Although the subject is the RX-V2400 I think most of the info applies to the 1400 as well. I really got a great deal of info about the 2400/1400 from the exchange of dialogue in this discussion. Here's the link:

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607

On the Presence Speakers, I don't use them. With my 7.1 configuration I've connected the two surrounds and two surround backs.

-GeorgeM

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
One question for you guys with RX-V1400/2400 -- When does your sub come on while listening to music? I just bought a Velodyne DLS-3500 and it dooesn't seem to want to come on in "Direct" mode, only in the DSP modes.
There is no sub out in "direct" mode on the RX-V1400/2400. This was one of my criticisms in my review.

As for Presence speakers, you can have either them or back channels but never both (even with an external amp).

See our Yamaha FAQ.

cam

cam

Audioholic
gene said:
There is no sub out in "direct" mode on the RX-V1400/2400. This was one of my criticisms in my review.

As for Presence speakers, you can have either them or back channels but never both (even with an external amp).

See our Yamaha FAQ.
I am glad I did my homework before I purchased my last receiver. With no sub out in direct mode means no sale. Why would the all mighty YAMAHA not give you the option to have the sub on with direct mode. Denon got it right so I took one home. I am just one example of a lost sale for Yamaha, wonder how many more are out there. I wonder if Yamahalover likes this feature or lack there of?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Cam;

Ideally the "Direct" mode for yamaha is a true bypass with no replication of main channel signal to the sub. While I don't agree with this, many companies are doing this now for the purists at heart.

If you plan on connecting mostly digital sources (IE. DVD, CD, HDTV Box, etc) it shouldn't be an issue since you will not undergo and excessive conversion stages. Simply put the 2400 in Stereo mode and you will have your sub again.

While I nitpicked about this in my 2400 and Z9 reviews, it was never really a problem for me since all of my sources were digital and the ones that werent (IE. VCR) I could care less about since they sounded so badly to begin with that I had to use Yamaha's excellent DSP processing to make them listenable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis