RX-Z9 and PS2 connection

U

Unregistered

All,

I thought some of you may have attempted this or maybe not. I am trying to hook up my PS2 to my RX-Z9 via the component video in's on the rear jacks and am having problems getting the game video to show up on my TV screen. I can see the DVD picture perfectly.

I have setup and connected the component video cables to the SAT input on the receiver and have gone through the gui to assign the SAT input to the PS2 and like I said can view the DVD's and can hear the games audio track, just cant see it.

If I use the front panel jacks (red,white, yellow) I can see both DVD and game video output. However I do not want to use these jacks and view the lower resolution as well as having to leave the door hangining open all the time.

Does anyone know if when going throught the Aux-v input, (meaningthe front panel of the Z9) if the DCDi processor is bypassed? I am thinking that this maybe the only difference. The only menu option I can think of that I did not try turning off was the video processing(DCDi). I have my video set to pass through.

My other question is in relation to the SAT component video in. Is it the same as all the rest of the component video in's or would using the cable component video in or the VCR1 component video in work better?

I would be really curious if anyone has any information on this or has tried it. The Z9 install guide only references using the front panel jacks to hook up your gaming system, but I would think that there would be an easy and simple way to connect using the component video in's on the rear also.

Thanks for any input /guidance.
Happy Z9 Owner

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
OK, I'm not a Z9 owner, but I think I may know what the problem is. I don't think it has anything to do with your Z9 either. I'm assuming that you have component cables running to one of the several component inputs that are on the rear of your TV set. Chances are that you have it plugged into the component input that supports only progressive component signals. The PS2 only plays a handful of its game library in progressive, unlike the Xbox which nearly all are progressive. The PS2, though, can play DVDs in progressive. So you may have everything setup correctly on the PS2 and Z9, the games you've chose to play don't support progressive. I may be wrong, but the fact that you can see progressive DVD but not gaming leads me to this conclusion. Here's a list of PS2 games that support 480p (the maximum resolution the console is capable of). You may also want to verifiy that progressive scan (for games) is turned on in the PS2 menu.

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/ps2list.htm

If you want to impress your friends with HD-gaming, get an Xbox! ;)

EDIT: You may have to plug your PS2 into a component input on the TV that supports interlaced signals to access the PS2 menu. You have to do the same thing with the Xbox, but I know for a fact that that you can activate a progressive menu on the Xbox with a certain button combination. If you happen to have a GameCube, holding "B" on one of the controllers when powering up the game will start the game in progressive (again, only if the game supports it).

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick response. However my TV is not HD compatible. It is a 43 inch sony and was the model year before they with HD ready. It has one compenent video in on the back of the set. On my Z9, my video shows as 480i/576i and if I try to select any of the xxxp modes it scrambles the picture as there isnt any digital circurity in the tv capable of displaying that sginal source.

Thanks, for the ideas.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Hmm... mysterious. I have no clue then, sorry. The games don't use any copy protection on the video feed... Is your PS2 modded or an incompatible format, like PAL (assuming you have NTSC)?

Perhaps... nah... I dunno. Hopefully someone can benefit from what I typed above... :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis