J

johnjsg

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>After half hour of use at half volume(30 to 25) the av receiver will shut down. The unit is very hot. I have checked the impedance selector and speaker wires. The main speakers are Energy veritas v2.2, center is Energy HTS-1,rear are Energy V2.OR, center rear are Energy XL-R, front effect are booze 101,
subwoofer is Yamaha YST-SW200. Has Anyone had this problem or could advise a remedy. The unit is about six months old.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
johnjsg : <font color='#000000'>After half hour of use at half volume(30 to 25) the av receiver will shut down. The unit is very hot. I have checked the impedance selector and speaker wires. The main speakers are Energy veritas v2.2, center is Energy HTS-1,rear are Energy V2.OR, center rear are Energy XL-R, front effect are booze 101,
subwoofer is Yamaha YST-SW200. Has Anyone had this problem or could advise a remedy. The unit is about six months old.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>I have the AZ-1 amp which is basicaly the same unit like yours sans tuner. I have used the amp with the volume at around 30 which is good enough for my NS 300 mains/ NS 90 fronts/NSC-300 front center/NS 100 rears and NSC-100 rear center. The heat build up on the amp is normal i.e. warm to touch. I have the impedance selector at 8 ohms even though my Yamaha speakers are rated at 6 ohms.

I am wondering what is the nominal impedance of your Energy veritas 2.2 main speakers. If they are less than 2 ohms then good luck as most if not all recievers and DSP amps in the market will choke. In that case you have to take the route of using a seperate mains amp like the Yamaha MX-1. I am using that route although for other reasons as I am perfectly satisfied with the built in sound of the AZ-1. Volume level of 25 is pretty high and this indicates that either the Energy speakers are low in efficiency terms usualy around 80 db( which I doubt ) or there is something wrong with your unit. I suspect a busted transistor or a cap. Take it back to Yamaha service and let them have a look. Also have your main speakers checked.Also try disconnection the booze fronts surrounds. Problems like this is very hard to diagnose. Point is to find out the reason for this occurence and take preventive measures so that it doesn't happen in the future. Yamaha units are very well made and rarely have problems. I have owned various Yamaha audio components in span of 20 years and never had any trouble with them.

If you are consistently running this unit at 25 and are not satisfied with the SPL, I would strongly suggest you the seperate main amp route. See if you can get a MX-1 or MX-2 amp. They have even better sound quality than the RXZ-1 and all the SPL you can wish for but I would be careful with the volume control at 25 as they will blow the Energy Veritas to kingdom come.

You are in luck as all existing RXZ-1 and AZ-1 amps have 5 year warranty now thanks to Yamaha.

Good Luck.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bprest0n

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I would check your ventilation. &nbsp;You should have at least 6-8 inches on top and back of the unit to properly dissipate heat.

Also, make sure the bass boost is turned off and the tone controls set at flat as possible. &nbsp;Try also pressing processor direct to bypass all tone control circuitry. &nbsp;You shouldn't need to use these with your speakers, especially if you are using a sub.

Set the bass out to &quot;both&quot; and you will have subwoofer in 2CH mode with front main speakers set to &quot;large&quot;.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis