RX V2500 speaker impedence

S

smulth

Audioholic Intern
I have a 5.1 set up. My front L and R are 4 ohm Jamo (excellent speakers). My center and rears and sub are 8 ohm energy, from what I understand even though they are rated 4 ohms or 8 ohms actual ratings rise and fall. Here's my question are there any consequnces or benefits if I change the speaker impedence on my reciever(rx v2500) from the factory pre set 8 ohms to 6 ohms. my thinking is that the reciever will put out more power which will in turn create better sound. Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.
Smulth.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually, it probably will put out less power.

That switch limits the receiver's power output into low impedance loade to help prevent overdriving it. If you're satisfied with the way it performs now, don't bother. You have nothiong to gain.

...Of course, if the protection circuit cuts in, then it's a viable option. That's what it's there for.

M

marky

Junior Audioholic
it is best to leave it at 8ohms. some of the pple here emailed yamaha and they recommend leaving it at 8ohms. something about it being able to take a bigger load.

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
Similar situation

I had the 2400 and 2 x JAMO D870s (4 ohms), 1 x D8CEN (4 ohms), 1 x D8SUB and 4 x D8SUR (6 ohms). When I watched movies with lots of action, my 2400 clipped regularly. I'm not sure if others have experienced similar situations with the Yamaha receivers. I ended up switching to separates. That's not the only solution. It was just mine.

I have the 2400 driving some 8 ohm Unisound speakers for mostly music and the sound is great!

Which JAMOs do you have? I REALLY like mine. Music and movies sound great!

Good Luck.

Mark

S

smulth

Audioholic Intern
I havn't expierenced any clipping at my prefered listening level. I just kind of thought that by switching the impedence to 6 ohms I would be averaging out the ohmage and providing more power. The reciever has it so why not use it. Based on the response more power is used at 8 ohms.

My Jamos are a pair of CORNET 195's which I have had for 5 years and am very happy with, I've heard of yours but not familiar with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis