RX-V2500: Presence and Rear Surrounds--Using Both

E

edbj

Enthusiast
I've played [separately) with both a single rear surround and with two front presence speakers. I'd like to have the option of using either. I know, from the manual, that both can't be enjoyed simultaneously. I don't want to have to go to the GUI to switch.

Is it possible to record a macro to switch between the two?

If I operate without DSP, does it cut off the presence speakers and leave the rear surround on? Conversely, if I use DSP, does it shut off the rear and use the presence?

Or, am I forced to make the choice between using presence or rears...excepting that I may be able to record a macro to change the setup?

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
edbj,

I have 2 surround back and 2 presence speakers connected to my 2500. I have it set so that if a DVD with surround back channels encoded is played it will automatically kill the presence speakers and engage the surround back. Any other time it will use the presence speakers. IMHO the presence add much to the soundfield, while the surround back add very little, unless the source is encoded with these channels. Also, there are indicator lights on the receiver for the soundfields. With these you can tell if the rears are engaged or not. Or you can do it the old fashioned way and stick your ear up to the speaker.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I would have to look through the manual again to be sure, but I believe I chose the "Presence" setting to acomplish this. Then, you can still activate/deactivate the rears at any time by pressing a button on the remote (I'm pretty sure it is the number 8).

E

edbj

Enthusiast
In other words, you selected Presence instead of Surrounds in the GUI setup, then you select "Extended Surround" (Button 8) for those programs with 6.1/7.1 material?

If so, when you select Extd. Surround does it switch off the presence speakers?

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
If the material is properly flagged, which most is not, then it will automatically switch to surround back speakers. Any time you engage the surround back speakers, automatically or manually, the presence speakers are disengaged.

N

nunz4

Audiophyte
Guys, I too have a Y2500, I do not have the presence speakers yet, can you please recommend which ones to buy? (front and back)...Thanks

E

edbj

Enthusiast
I'm using Klipsch Reference all around for 5.1, so I opted for Klipsch RSX-4 satellites for the presence and a Klipsch bookshelf RCX-4 for a single rear surround. They're working out great.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
edbj,

Sorry, I was looking through things the other day and the setting I am using to create what I described above is the "surround back." Sorry for any confusion.

nunz4,
What speakers do you already have. It's hard to suggest something without knowing your currect setup. In general though, I prefer bipolar speakers for rear channels and direct radiating for presence.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis