rx-v2500 no video on older tv...

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
I've had my yami v2500 for about a week now and love it for music and movie soundtrack. I haven't bought a new TV yet and only have this 15 yr old Panasonic 13" tv/vcr combo unit to plug it into. ok if y'all have stopped laughing, can you tell me why I don't get any picture with the composite video out from the yami to the tv with the VCR plugged into the video in of yami. if I route the cable directly to the tv from the vcr I get a picture. if I route it thru the yami, no picture. The video up convert was on, but even after I turned it off I still have no picture.

??? :confused:

thanks,
dave

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
what cable are you taking from the VCR to the 2500 and what are you using from the 2500 to the TV.

If you are using S-vid to the 2500 and then a component to the TV then I believe that it wont work but i am not 100% sure, really just taking a stab in the dark.

I actually just hooked up my 2500 last night. I should be getting my sub today and this weekend will be movie watching goodness!!!! by thr way, I love the GUI and the ease of auto setup.

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
my tv might pre-date s-video at least it doesn have it. I am using just an rca type cable in both legs vcr-yam-tv.

that reminds me I can't use the GUI on the tv (it doesn't display) so have to use the yam's display which is difficult because the manual assumes the tv is displaying the gui and nothing matches what I see on the yam one line display... ;^(

my understanding is that the yam will up-convert both composite and s-vid to component. see page 62, top of col 2 of the manual. not having a decent tv yet I can't verify this...

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
2500 4 me

for those that have the yamaha 2500, how do yu like it thus far? Mine is ordered and should be here 1-13, can't wait...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like a great time to double check you connections.

1. Hook VCR directly to TV, using COMPOSITE CABLE make sure you have a picture.
2. Hook VCR up to receiver using composite cable - plug it into the back of the receiver on the input labeled: "VCR 1 IN"
3. Hook receiver up to your TV to the same input your VCR was just plugged into the back of the TV. Hook it up from the receiver output that reads: MONITOR (located at the bottom of the receiver)
4. Turn on TV
5. Turn on receiver
6. Make sure receiver is turned to VCR 1 by turning input knob on the front of the receiver.

That may all sound exactly like what you have done, but it is worth double checking again if you have not hooked things up that way.

D

diggerdave

Audioholic Intern
thanks BMXTRIX,
I do get picture when tv connected directly to vcr...but
I think you nailed my problem. I have the tv plugged into the VCR1 out, not Monitor. vcr 1 out is probably meant for another recording device not a display??? I'll try when I get home tonight.

thanks again,
dave

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
aspaceintime said:
for those that have the yamaha 2500, how do yu like it thus far? Mine is ordered and should be here 1-13, can't wait...

I just got mine installed the other night. I was amazed at how easy it was to do. I got it installed and running in less than an hour. The YAPOAYOPYYAO was really easy to use and the GUI is pretty sweet. I am just waiting for my Sub to get in (supposed to get it yesterday) and I will run the auto setup again and play around with it this weekend. I want to get the new special eddition 5th Element and watch that. I also need to get some surround backs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
diggerdave said:
vcr 1 out is probably meant for another recording device not a display???
No problem...

The VCR1 Output should go from the receiver to your INPUT on the back of your VCR. Whatever you are currently watching on screen that is a composite source - like security cameras, or non-HD cable, or non-copyright protected DVD video, is passed out of the VCR1 OUTPUT to your VCR. As a guess (I haven't tried it myself) I would think that when you are on the VCR1 input, it kills the VCR1 output to the VCR so there are no feedback issues. This means it is impossible to view the VCR on screen by using that output.

AFTER YOU RESOLVE THE PICTURE ISSUE: Hook the VCR1 OUTPUT to your VCR Input jacks using RCA compostive and audio cables. If you have a DVD player or camcorder hook that up to an input on your 2500 using composite cables then put the image up on screen. Then press record on your VCR. You should be recording whatever you see on screen to a video tape. Don't record over your wedding footage though.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BMXTRIX said:
No problem...
Don't record over your wedding footage though.
please note this IS permissable (and probably encouraged) if it is not actually your CURRENT wedding.. :D

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
I just put my sub together this evening, I ordered from parts express. Very high quality, now I need my 2500 to drive it...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis