RX-V2500 .. Can it be bi-amped like the Denon AVR-3805?

K

konradw

Audiophyte
Can Zone 2 be configured to bi-amp as can be done with the Denon AVR-3805? I have some rather power hungry main bi-ampable speakers. I haven't yet bought the RX-V2500 but it would definitely help sway me if it could be done.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
You could visit Yamaha web site and view owners manual. Or call Yamaha at 800-292-2982.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
The 2500 cannot be bi-amped.

Here's some posts from e-coustics.com forum on the topic.

migrain
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 08:39 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Paul:
I was refering to Pre-ins and outs not speaker wire outputs.
The Denon has 8 chanel analog pre-inputs for multichannel surround from compatable DVD-A / SACD players (refered to as multi-channel external decoder imputs). It also has 8 pre outputs.

The Yamaha advertizes that it has 8 channel analog imputs. Upon reading the reciever comparison chart of thier brochure however you will see that it only has 6 imputs, but is 8 channel compatable. I'm thinking this means that if you have a SACD player with 8 channel outputs the Yamaha will still be able to accept the signals only in 5.1 rather than 7.1 (5 + 1 sub = 6 channels where 7 + 1 sub = 8 channels) Anyone?

This is an odd thing for Yamaha to sacrifice on thier 2500 and 1500 when you consider that the RXV 750 and 650 each have 8 channel discrete imputs (unless they needed to make room for a larger power supply or heat sink wich would make sense, since the 650/750 and 1500/2500 all have the same size cabinets). The previous models 2400 and 1400 also only had 6 channel external imputs with 8 channel compatability, but they also boasted more power.

Also the Denon 3805 does equalize each speaker individually on its auto eq routine but it does so just a tad harsher and unrealistc than the Yamaha. That being said most who would buy the Denon are not as interested in what the receiver can do on auto, but what they can tweek it to do themselves.

To Kano:
Yes you can bi-amp the Denon 3805 main channels by looping the surround back imputs. AudioHolics review of the unit includes detailed instructions on how to do this. This is not something I would do myself since it's not mentioned in the manual. I'm just too chicken that way. I'm sure the Denon will shred my listening room just fine the way it is. That is, if I were to buy one.
Migrain

Paul
Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 09:40 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kano, I really liked the bi-amp feature, and it nearly sold me on the denon, but after further review, I decided agaisnt it.

First of all, there are problems with biamping the 3805, and denon specifically says not to do it with that model. They have problems with biamping the 3805(unlike it's big brother5805)and reviews for it in bi-amp mode are pretty bad. It seems many experience feedback or humming sounds while trying to biamp the 3805. Not to mention that if you dont follow instructions during setup, you fry your amp.

Plus the fact that Denon specifically says to not do it with the 3805 caught my attention. Also, you have to bi-wire speaker wires......i dont like that Idea in the least. I guess that's a discussion for a different forum entirely.

Paul
Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, February 28, 2005 - 09:50 am:

Migrain,
Thanks for the info. Off hand, I have no clue how many analog inputs I have because I dont have that many things to plug in. All I know is that when I look to the back, theres room for what appears to be a ton of stuff.

As for the equalization of individual speakers, the only reason I asked is that somebody on another thread said something to to make be believe that the denon did not, which caught me by surprise because I thought it did. Thanks for the clarification. I agree that it's fun to tweak the speakers manually.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis