RX-V2400 Video Upconversion? HELP!

J

JasonInFTLaud

Audiophyte
Ok, let's start off by saying I'm new to this :D . I bought my RX-V2400 after upgrading from a Sony 7.1 unit that didn't have a powered 2nd zone, which I needed. Plus the promise of video upconversion from S-Video/Composite to Component along with the component OSD, I was sold :) .

Now, almost a year later, and I still cannot figure out what I am doing wrong (if anything) because the upconversion isn't working.

Here's my setup:

Dish Receiver hooked up via Component Video (DTV inputs)
DVD hooked up via Component Video (to DVD inputs)
VCR hooked up via composite video (to VCR video in)
CD changer OSD hooked up via composite video (to CD-R video in)
Multimedia Reader hooked up via S-Video (to VCR/AUX S-video inputs).

My Samsung DLP is taking the component output from the receiver into it's 480i/480p set of component inputs (Tweeter says the output from the upconverted component on the RXV is 480i, though I haven't been able to confirm). I also have the composite video monitor from the RXV connected to the Samsung on it's composite video input.

I am expecting (correct me if I'm wrong here :confused: ) that I should never have to switch my TV off of it's component video settings to view the VCR, or view the CD OSD of the multi-media reader, but I do. Otherwise I get that familiar "No Signal" from the Sammy DLP.

HELP!

And yes, I have to get the Dish received connected straight to the TV via it's DVI since I had to switch to the 480i/480p inputs on the Sammy. I would like to still get HD from the Dish.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
First lets start with what the receiver does by "upconverting". It does not add any additional processing to the signal. Rather it transports all signals, regardless of the input type, 1080i, 720P, 480P, or 480i, over a component cable to your TV. So the receiver will switch an HD signal as it will pass-through all signals that are input into it. The component output should be connected to the HD input on your Samsung, so that could be the problem. Since none of the signals you are transmitting are digital there should be no interference with HDCP issues. You should not need to have your composite cable from the receiver to the TV connected, you should only have to use the component cable. With that said there maybe some issue with the TV for some reason unknown to me. I have a similar setup with different equipment and never have to change the input, one of the nice features of a receiver that "upconverts" the signal. I seriously doubt there is an issue with your receiver, it's most likely a compatability issue with the set if changing the input to an HD component input. You should also try connecting each piece of equipment directly to the TV on the same input and see what happens. Good luck!

J

JasonInFTLaud

Audiophyte
Well, then I guess I'm under the right understanding, but something is clearly awry somewhere. When I spoke to the folks at Sound Advice (Tweeter), they indicated that the output from the upconverted composite/s-video was 480i from the receiver and that because I was going into my 480p/720p/1080i component ins on the TV that I was not seeing the upconverted video. But even with switching to the 480i/480p inputs hasn't helped.

All of the component video "components" (the dvd and dish) are fine, their signal passes without an issue. It's only the composite and s-video ones that don't get upconverted. I've been forced to connect a composite out from the receiver to the TV and switch in those cases.

I sent Yamaha a support email about a month ago with no reply. Nice receiver, bad customer service. :)

E

Electone

Audioholic
Check your manual. In the setup section, there is a selector for activating the upconversion. If it is not activated, composite and s-video inputs will not be output at the component jacks on the receiver.

J

JasonInFTLaud

Audiophyte
It's activated, as is the Component OSD to display the OSD on the component outs.

G

gwilav

Enthusiast
You will not be able to watch everything on one component input on this model unless you downconvert your HD to 480p and use component 1 (that problem was fixed the next model year).

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
Yamaha

I have sent many emails to Yamaha and all have been returned in a timely fashion. However they were not always what I wanted to hear.

J

JasonInFTLaud

Audiophyte
When I heard that the Yamaha was upconverting the comp/svid to 480i, I switched from Component 2 on the Sammy to Component 1 (480i/480p) and moved my HD dish receiver straight into the Sammy on Component 2 so that I could still view HD.

But even once that was done, I still cannot see any upconverted video through the component outs on the Yamaha.

I'm beginning to think that my RXV2400 just isn't working. All of the settings appear to be right, and I don't think I'm that dumb! Well...

Ok that's it. Time to get a new receiver. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis