RX-V2400 Setup Problem

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>In the manual setup procedure there is one item that the system will accept during setup but will not retain in the memory. &nbsp;Immediately after the setup I can scroll through the program and the change will appear as I made it. &nbsp;However, if I close out the setup and play a DVD (or whatever) and then return to the setup menu the item has returned to its original state before I made the change!

The culprit is the Front Speakers and the menu choices are LARGE or SMALL. &nbsp;My choice is (arrrow pointing to) always SMALL but as I mentioned above something consistently reverts the selection back to LARGE. (For any of you that might have the Yamaha 2400 this is on p.49 of the manual.) &nbsp;Don't know if these other items are relevant but here is my setup:

Parameter menu is set 'Set Menu'/Room Size 'M'/Subwoofer 'Yes'/Presence 'No'/Number of Speakers '7' and then I select 'Set' on the next menu followed by a successful speaker test.

Speaker Set: SOUND
Center, Front Speakers, Surround Left &amp; Right, Surround Back Left &amp; Right, all set to &nbsp;'SMALL'. &nbsp;Presence speakers to 'None'

LFE Bass Output set to 'BOTH' and the Crossover is set to 80Hz. ('BOTH' meaning the Front L&amp; R and Sub is used).

I've done this manual set up at least 25 or 30 times and still cannot figure out the prob. &nbsp;Although a couple of the instructions in the manual were vague at first, I've precisely followed the written procedures.

Don't know if there's &nbsp;any conflict in the setup I've chosen; would appreciate any help that can be offered.

-GeorgeM</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>When you set LFE to both, you are telling the receiver to send bass to both the mains &amp; the sub. This automatically tells the system that your main speakers are large.

Have you tried auto set-up?</font>

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo, thanks for your reply.

1. &nbsp;On your question of using the auto set-up, the answer is yes. &nbsp;As a matter of fact I used it a few times in my initial setup. &nbsp;I kept some of the settings it established (speaker distance, etc) but had to manually tweak the loudness of some of the speakers; &nbsp;I did by 'ear' and with the ever-popular Radio Shack SPL meter (nice gadget).

2. &nbsp;LFE setting. &nbsp;I did not know that by selecting 'Both' that the speaker size setting was automatically changed to 'Large.' &nbsp;I just went back to the Manual again but they did not seem to address this. Here's the only two relevant quotes I could find:
&quot;Select FRNT if you do not connect a subwoofer. &nbsp;The unit directs all low-frequency and LFE signals to front speakers (even if you have previously set FRNT SP to SMALL&quot;
and
&quot;Select BOTH to direct LFE signals to the subwoofer. &nbsp;Other low-frequency signals are directed to both the subwoofer and the other front channels in accordance with your other speaker settings.&quot;

3. &nbsp;I guess I should explain what prompted me to ask my original question on the Front speakers configuation:

* &nbsp;Part of my 7 speaker system are Definitive Techs Mythos Ones and Three. &nbsp;In Definitive's owners guide it states to &nbsp;
[/I]...set the bass management system on the receiver or decoder to &quot;Small&quot; left and right main speakers, ...&quot;etc.

* &nbsp;There's also at least two sub manufacturers that I'm familiar with that recommend the same config.

* &nbsp;I cannot recall where I read it but I think the reason for this is make the main speakers produce as much sound as possible within their capabilities rather than have them sit idle
below 80Hz (or whatever cutoff is established).

4. &nbsp;Maybe I'll run the YPAO Auto Setup again to see what changes.

-G</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Set your speaker size to small. Perform auto set-up and set speaker size option to skip. Then go in &amp; set bass out to both. This is how I seem to get the most out of my system! You can go back &amp; be sure speaker size is at small. My 1400 did the same thing, but I got it to stay set like this!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks, I'll do that!

-G</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis