RX-V 2500 Input Source issue (always PCM instead of DTS)

E

edmz

Audiophyte
I just bought myself a RX-V 2500 and thus far I'm very happy with it. I have a 2 m22ti as front speakers and 2 QS4 as surround and one old small mitsubishi speaker as a center channel.

I have a sony dvd player (i don't have the model number at hand) and whenever I play a DVD that supposedly has DTS I check the Audio Info on the 2500 I always get PCM. I have never been able to receive DTS.

Is this because the 2500 detects only 5 speakers and thus doesnt use the DTS signal ? I don't have more speakers, so I cant test that. Or am I missing something ? I always check that the DVD is playing the DTS track.

Any ideas ?

thanks!

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Are you using Optical or Digital Coaxial cables for digital sound?

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
Have you enabled the DTS output on your DVD player? The default setting is off.

E

edmz

Audiophyte
Well, my DVD player doesnt have that option explicitly neither on the remote nor on the player itself. The DVD player does display that the dolby digital output is active.

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
If the player doesn't say it reproduces DTS you simply can't get it, thus solving your PCM problem. However, if it does truly decode DTS it should say right on the front on the unit (usually) or the back where the Dolby copywright is.

E

edmz

Audiophyte
My DVD player does indeed have the DTS logo on the front.

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Then I can't see why it shouldn't work, what DSP mode are you using?

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
You have to go into the menu of the DVD player, hit the menu button without a dvd in the player, and go through the onscreen menu, or check your owners manual.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Right, MacMann.

Your dvd player, when playing a dvd, has an on screen menu. Open up the menu with your remote, and select bitstream instead of pcm. Also make sure to select DTS on the language or options menu at the beginning of the dvd you are watching assuming it is a DTS disc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis