Running wires in walls

J

JRW160

Audiophyte
I've searched around the internet for a while, but I can't seem to find any guide or anything on how to run wires through insulated walls. A friend of mine just purchased a house. He enlisted me to help him wire up his surround sound. Two of the walls we are going to have to run wire through are insulated, and the waire is going to have to be run from the attic and down I guess. Does anyone have any tips or guides on how to get wire through insualted walls? Do we have any other viable options that won't cost a fortune?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
JRW160 said:
I've searched around the internet for a while, but I can't seem to find any guide or anything on how to run wires through insulated walls. A friend of mine just purchased a house. He enlisted me to help him wire up his surround sound. Two of the walls we are going to have to run wire through are insulated, and the waire is going to have to be run from the attic and down I guess. Does anyone have any tips or guides on how to get wire through insualted walls? Do we have any other viable options that won't cost a fortune?

Not easy but do-able. Hopefully you won't run into solid fire stop blocks as they are not required if it is insulated. If you find the right top plates, and the right bay, careful measurements are required, make sure there is no 120- wire up there by the top plates of the wall. Hopefully you will spot the nails on the top plates that go into or above the two studs on either side, about 16" apart, drill a 5/8" hole through the two top plates, 3" thick. If the drill seems not to be going, do another hole as you hit a knot and can start a fire.

There are steel fishing tapes sold at places like Home depot. This tape usually has a bend in one direction, same as it is rolled up. Insert in that hole with that curve pointing to the wall you want the outlet on. this curvature should go to the outside of that insulation and hug the sheetrock. Have someone listen for scratching, an indication that the tape is in the right stud bay. Once you determined that it is in the right cavity, and where you want the outlet, then you can cut a hole, carefully in the drywall for a retrofit outlet box. They have ears that will turn and grab the drywall on the inside for a tight hold. Don't make the hole too large or the box will fall out.

Push the tape down, twist it from side to side, may have to push down and pull up as you twist, have helper using a hand in the wall cut out search for that snake; the hand and snake should meet:D
Pull up the speaker cable, or if the cable is already in the attic, pull up a pull cable, tie the speaker wire in the attic to this pull cable, well, so the joint won't come apart on the way down and partly through the insulation, pull the speaker wire out the hole, fish it through one of the cable holes in the box, hold onto the cable while you push the box into the wall cutout and screw that retrofit box so the ears grab in the back. attach speaker wire to speaker wall plates and you have a pro, clean look.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If he has a basement, run the wire down there and drill up.
The attic route is harder. (for the outside walls)
As mtrycrafts stated "not easy but do-able"
Depending on the pitch of the roof, it gets tough to reach the top plate, while laying in attic insulation.
The tight space between the roof and the top plate will make a right angle drill necessary.
Greenlee makes a long flexible drill bit that has a 'steering' handle. It works great when drilling down through the bottom plate, to the basement. Cut the outlet opening and the drill bit is guided into the outlet hole you've cut, to drill the plate. The bit, also has a small hole in the end, to tie the wire to. It then can double as a snake. Also, to meet NEC, the code. You should use wire rated for 'in-wall use'. Also, going up from a basement, means much less wall insulation to fish through.
Good Luck! Hope he has a basement.
Rick

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Rickster71 said:
If he has a basement, run the wire down there and drill up.
The attic route is harder. (for the outside walls)
As mtrycrafts stated "not easy but do-able"
Depending on the pitch of the roof, it gets tough to reach the top plate, while laying in attic insulation.
Rickster71 said:
Yes, you are right. being an outside wall without being specified as such, escaped me and the roof issue. That would be most difficult as you would have a difficult time getting into that low space, on top of insulation, drilling holes in an area of about 10" high:(

Hope he has a basement.
Rick
Yep, with enough crawl space.:D

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
At least it's not summer time.
Nothing beats working in an attic in July.:D

J

JRW160

Audiophyte
He does have a full basement. I guess we'll give that route a shot. I hadn't even considered it. The house is 2 stories, but the room we are installing the surround sound in goes all the way up, which would make it even harder to go through the attic.. I think the basement will be a much easier route.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

JRW160 said:
He does have a full basement. I guess we'll give that route a shot. I hadn't even considered it. The house is 2 stories, but the room we are installing the surround sound in goes all the way up, which would make it even harder to go through the attic.. I think the basement will be a much easier route.

Yes, if you have such access, that is the best route. I guess that should be in my questions next time, basement?

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
A different approach

I too am about to have this challenge. My proposed solution is to put up crown moulding, run the wire behind the crown, and then make a hole in the wall under the crown , above the intended speaker spot, and fish the wire down to the speaker spot. Anyone see a problem with this approach? Thanks

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
~JC~ said:
I too am about to have this challenge. My proposed solution is to put up crown moulding, run the wire behind the crown, and then make a hole in the wall under the crown , above the intended speaker spot, and fish the wire down to the speaker spot. Anyone see a problem with this approach? Thanks

That will work. I've had the opportunity to do it before I installed the crown molding, and after. If you can, install the wire first. Staple it, or tape it up. Then put up the molding.
It's easier than running a snake behind the crown, and trying to get around the corner.
Be careful when you nail.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Thanks Rick. It seemed like it would wrok to me, but you know how it goes, sometimes we miss the forest for the trees! ;)

J

JRW160

Audiophyte
We got everything done yesterday. It was a pretty painful. Running wire up the insulated walls was the biggest problem. Other than that it wasn't too bad. It took quite a while, but it was not as bad as I expected.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis