Running HT Through 2CH Analog

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Just by reading the posts I realize that quite a few people have hi-end stereo analog systems, as well as digital HT and Multi-CH playback systems. I was wondering if you run your HT main preouts through your analog preamps, thus combining both stereo/analog with multi-Ch digital playback through the same main fronts. That way, you enhance your HT reproduction across the front soundstage. I believe tht this is the way to go, to get the best of both worlds. How about it, O'Shag?

dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
I use to run my system this way, but found that I had to remember to set the volume on the pre-amp everytime I wanted listen to HT. One of my mad engineering friends made me a switchbox (used a switch from a radio used on a WWII Navy destroyer!). Now I switch between my 2-channel/HT system as needed.

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
Some preamps (like my BAT) have assignable fixed unity gain, which means you control the HT volume through the receiver, since the preamp volume is fixed when you run your receivers front preouts to that preamp input.

M

mike_p

Audioholic Intern
I too do this.. I set my Quad 99 Preamp to a level of 20 everytime I wanna listen to HT. Gotta remember to turn it down to 10-12 range for normal 2-ch listening, otherwise my neighbors get quite a suprise.

I had to spend some time with a spl-meter to level match my Marantz 5400 center and surrounds to the preamp+amp 2-ch setup.

FYI.. the Quad kills the Marantz when it comes to 2-ch music, that why I kept it, it's not even close.. and the Marantz is known for being WAY more musical than the likes of Denon/Yammy/etc.. funny thing though, when I run a 2-ch source through the Marantz's internal DACs then into the Quad it sounds pretty good, it just does some kinda magical goodness.. go figure.

hope this helps,
mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis