Run bookshelf speakers full-range or filter them?

M

Motrek

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,

I have some newish bookshelf speakers (Ascend CBM-170s) that I'm using as a 2.0 system for TV, movies, and music.

I've been doing some reading (on the internet) about how bass reflex ports work. According to the impedance graph for my speakers, the port tuning frequency is ~45Hz. I've read that below the tuning frequency, the output becomes distorted and inaccurate, and if lower frequencies are played too loud, mechanical damage can be done to the woofer.

So my question is, should I set my speakers to "small" on my receiver and cross them over at, say, 60Hz even though I don't have a subwoofer? This seems like it would be a good idea to reduce inaccurate (and possibly harmful) frequencies.

On the other hand, don't people run bookshelf speakers all the time with regular amplifiers that don't do any filtering?

Any thoughts are welcome.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
As long as the speakers don't "fart out" and you use common sense and your ears, go ahead and run them full range. I do this on my bedroom system, which has no subwoofer. If you hear anything distressing, then back off on the bass and volume.

hint: Don't boost the bass to try to compensate for your lack of a subwoofer. THAT'S asking for problems.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If you are listening at reasonable levels, no need to filter lower frequencies.
Since you are talking Ascend, why not call them and ask what volume levels would start to put the driver at risk from over-extension.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
If there is a problem, you would most probably hear it, just as the others said above. I would never filter my bookshelf speakers. Peace and goodwill.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Why not buy a subwoofer to add to your system. I think you would like the results better than the bookshelves alone.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Why not buy a subwoofer to add to your system. I think you would like the results better than the bookshelves alone.
I certainly agree that experimentation is the best course. But just on first principles, why wouldn't you want to filter the satellites? I've never seen a crossover that worked properly with only one of the drivers filtered. You're bound to end up with too much energy where the unfiltered response combines with the filtered. And you lose the increased power-handling benefits of a proper crossover.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dennis, unless I am mistaken, I believe all suggestions that the OP should not filter the speakers refer to applying a high pass filter to the mains with no sub involved.
In other words, the OP has read an article which has him concerned about hazards from frequencies below the port tune of his mains, and he is considering applying a filter to protect the speakers.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Dennis, unless I am mistaken, I believe all suggestions that the OP should not filter the speakers refer to applying a high pass filter to the mains with no sub involved.
In other words, the OP has read an article which has him concerned about hazards from frequencies below the port tune of his mains, and he is considering applying a filter to protect the speakers.

Oh. Never Mind. I knew that yesterday. What a difference a day makes. I forget stuff.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh. Never Mind. I knew that yesterday. What a difference a day makes. I forget stuff.
Trust me, you are not alone.
People ask me what I did yesterday and I often honestly don't remember.
Used to be, when that happened, alcohol/drugs were involved!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis