RTR tower replacement speakers

B

Ben DeRose

Audiophyte
I have a pair of RTR tower speakers, vintage 1978, and the 10" base/mid-range speakers need to be rebuilt or replaced. I'd like to replace them but have no technical information on them to direct me. I believe them to be 4 ohm speakers but have no freq. range specs. Any assistance or recommendations would be appreciated. Let's talk.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I’m sure the drivers are fine and it’s just the outer foam surround has deteriorated. It’s not hard to fix that, Parts Express sells kits for different sizes of speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

B

Ben DeRose

Audiophyte
Thanks Wayne. Got any suggestions for replacements?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

No one else has any technical information on these speakers either, so I’ll be surprised if anyone can give you any recommendations. It’s best just to repair the ones you have with one of those surround kits, unless the voice coils are blown or something. If you don’t want to do that, then just use a multimeter to determine the nominal impedance and pick a speaker from a vendor that’s designed for the size of the cabinet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks Wayne, probably best to reconsider re-foaming.
That would be best option if you cant get your hands on original speakers used as if you change the speakers to something else then crossover doesn't work with them like it did with original ones.

B

Ben DeRose

Audiophyte
Thanks Kurt. Appreciate the direction & websites. I'll give one a try & see how it goes. Thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis