RSL Speaker Systems CG24 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
I've always enjoyed reading about speaker systems. More so if those systems are developed by companies not so talked about on AV forums. I enjoy it even more when I see the expressions on people's faces when I mention those brands. They just stand there looking at me like they've seen a ghost. It makes me feel like an Einstein when that happens he,he,he (evil laugh). A friend of mine has been searching for a new setup for some time and I suggested some options from RSL Speakers Systems. He just stood there for several seconds looking at me and said: What's RSL?...... I must admit that I laughed at the expression on his face (innocent laugh). Moving on!!!

Ok, lets start with a little history. For those of you who didn't know, RSL Speakers Systems (formerly known as Rogersound Labs) started building speakers in 1970 in the back room of their small store at 5706 Lankershim Blvd. in North Hollywood (now known as ‘NoHo’), California. RSL quickly became one of the largest selling brands of speakers in the recording and broadcast industries, as well as the general public. After such a big success they had to move to a larger building on Van Nuys Blvd, in Van Nuys in 1973. As of today, they have a wide variety of products worthy of serious consideration.

One of those systems is their CG24 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System. This system features (3) CG24 speakers (LCR), (2) CG4 speakers (surrounds) and (1) Speedwoofer 10 Subwoofer. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing one of these systems in action, but I can say one thing: it looks VERY good.

Check out this picture of the complete speaker system!... It sure looks good to me!!!
PicsArt_1424314946505.jpg

Both CG4 & CG24 speakers in this system share the following features:
  • Patented Compression Guide Sound Enhancing Technology.
  • Hand-painted piano gloss finish.
  • Magnetic, self-positioning, metal grills.
  • Crossovers feature air core inductors with thick copper wire. Its components are mounted on printed circuit boards with very wide traces to minimize resistance. On the outside of the cabinet, you will find gold-plated binding posts that will accommodate thick speaker wire or banana plugs.
System price: $2,150.00

Take a look at the star of this system, the CG24 (LCR) Speaker!
CG24-Without-Grille-White.jpg

CG24 SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Woofers: (2) 4″ with Ferrite Magnet, Polypropylene Cone, Cast aluminum frame.
  • Tweeter: 1″ Silk Dome, Ferrite Magnet.
  • Frequency Response: 85-25,000 Hz ± 3db.
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 90 db SPL @ 1 watt, 1 meter distance.
  • Recommended Power: 25-125 watts (Please note the following: this rating is for use above 100 HZ. Amplifiers of higher power can be used if care is taken not to operate them at maximum volume).
  • Crossover Frequency: 2,500 Hz
  • Crossover Slope: 6 db/octave (First Order).
  • Crossover Parts: Air core coil, Polypropylene capacitor, Gold Plated binding posts.
  • Tuning Method: Compression Guide™
  • System Resonance: 68 Hz
  • Dimensions: H: 16″ W: 6″ D: 6 3/8″ (Without grill 6 1/8″).
  • Weight 13 lbs.
Price: $325.00/each.

Next up, check out the CG4 Surround Speaker!
CG4-Without-Grille-White.jpg

CG4 SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Woofer: 4″ with Ferrite Magnet, Polypropylene Cone, and Cast aluminum frame.
  • Tweeter: 1″ Silk Dome, Ferrite Magnet.
  • Frequency Response: 100-25,000 Hz ± 3db.
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88 db SPL @ 1 watt, 1 meter distance.
  • Recommended Power: 25-125 watts (Please note the following: this rating is for use above 100 HZ. Amplifiers of higher power can be used if care is taken not to operate them at maximum volume).
  • Crossover Frequency: 2,500 Hz
  • Crossover Slope: 12 db/octave.
  • Crossover Parts: Air core coil, Polypropylene capacitors, Gold Plated binding posts.
  • Tuning Method: Compression Guide™
  • System Resonance: 72 Hz
  • Dimensions: H: 10 1/2″ W: 6″ D: 6 3/8″ (Without grill 6 1/8″).
  • Weight: 9 lbs.
Price: $250.00/each.

And finally, the guy in charge of the hard stuff... The Speedwoofer 10 subwoofer!
Speedwoofer-No-Grille-Remote-White.jpg

SPEEDWOOFER 10 FEATURES:
  • Patented Compression Guide Bass Enhancing Technology.
  • Wireless remote control of volume & crossover frequency.
  • Separate control box for easy remote communication.
  • Compression Guide technology.
  • Hand painted piano gloss finish.
  • Auto on/off mode.
  • Phase switch
  • LFE input
  • 110/220 volt operation.
  • Removable cloth grill.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • 375 watt RMS class A/B pure analog amplifier.
  • Frequency Response: 24-180 Hz ± 3db.
  • Woofer: 10” Cast Aluminum frame w/ massive double magnet, Massive Ferrite Magnet Structure, rubber surround.
  • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
  • System resonance: 18 Hz
  • Dimensions: (H)16 1/2” (W)16 1/2” (D)7 1/4” (Not including spikes).
  • Feet and Spikes: 4 spikes for carpeted floors and 4 plastic feet for hard floors supplied.
  • Weight: 64 lbs.
Price: $750.00/each.

Click on the attached pictures to zoom in!
CG4-crossover.jpg controller.png CG4-tweeter.jpg CG4-woofer.jpg

I really like how this system looks. Looks well put together and built quality seems to be very good. Tell us what you think and don't forget to share it!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis