RS232 Serial Control Yamaha RX-V3900 & Z7 problem?

P

paulyp

Audiophyte
Hi guys,
does anyone have the working RS232 serial commands for a Yamaha RX-V3900?

I've searched al of these forums and other sites but am having no luck.
There are threads on this site regarding them and have links to a site that has the commands but the link is redundant.

I've tried the most basic commands from things I've found on the net like the following command but cant get the amp to respond:

PUT System(Power_Control(Power=On))
and also this below but nothing
0,1,*,PUT,Main_Zone(Vol(Mute=On)),*\x0D\x0A

Im running at 9600 Baud,8,N,1 etc but no luck.

Has anyone got the correct list of commands or hints? I've verified my COM1 port is definilty working by sending and receiving data back and forth from my laptop at 9600 so its not a hardware issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you could PM me or email the codes to paulypearce at gmail.com would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Paul
paulypearce(at)gmail.com

jinjuku

jinjuku

The 232 port is used for system integrators that are deploying producst like AMX/Crestron/Control 4.

I don't even know if Yamaha makes their protocol available to the end user. I know I wouldn't. You may have to call them and see if they have an API that you can refer too.

Remember the port isn't there for you. It's there for they guy you hire:D

One of these days everything will be over TCP/IP.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The RS232 will run receiver manager software that can be supplied by Yamaha if you get a rep that is cooperative. But I'm not aware of it being able to run hex codes.

The dedicated hex codes can be sent via IR to the receiver.
At a quick glance I'm unable to find the document for the 1900/3900.

AVS forum would be the best place to look for it...

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
What software are you using to try send the commands?

I use RS-232 control on several of my components using a URC MSC-400. There are three different data types you can send out via RS-232: ASCII, HEX and DECIMAL. I know most of my gear will only respond to the ASCII values and not the others.

I guess I would ask what it is you are trying to accomplish. These commands are great if you have an interface to use them within but having to fire up HyperTerminal to send a command does not seem realistic.

P

paulyp

Audiophyte
Hi guys!
Thankyou all for your replies, hopefully I can get there and get this thing working.

I am going to integrate it to a Clipsal C Touch which is an Australian version of Crestron basically for home automation. The system controls your lights, is your alarm system, integrates CCTV camera's, irrigation, roller doors and gates, AV equipment etc etc. Pretty straight forward stuff, no rocket surgery except for this dam AV receiver! :)

I can deal with the actual code to get the screen sending the commands to the amp later but the first step is getting the amp to respond to the RS232 commands. Once I get one command working, I can figure out the rest, then write them into the touch screen which has a RS232 output port and be done.

All your help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

There are so many documents out there for RX-V3900 RS232 control that it must be possible.

Yamaha RX-V3900 serial control

Currently I'm using RS232Analyzer and I get 1 error back occasionally but cant get the amp to do anything let alone a simple volume adjust, mute or change inputs. The error I'm getting back is
0,0,0,,64<CR><LF>

I write code(PPCL and graphic based) and run projects for controlling PC3 labs, pharmaceutical production lines and operating theater environments and that's easy compared to the amount of time I've spend on this thing.

I tried hyperterminal but it doesn't give very good feedback.
Here's what I'm trying to simply turn on and off the amp.

Surely someone else has a 3900 in a home automation setup using RS232 yeah? I couldn't be the only one.....

0,1,*,PUT,System(Power_Control(Power=Standby)),*
0,1,*,PUT,System(Power_Control(Power=On)),*

Thanks again,
Paul
Sydney, Australia

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
You already have the ability to talk over my head on this stuff, so I'll sit this one out. :eek:
BMXTRIX is a Creston guru. Maybe he can help.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Zip file sent to you via email, Paul. I'm with Nomo - It's over my head, but maybe there's some info there that will help. Good luck.

P

Picander

Audiophyte
i don't know about the 3900 but with z7 you can easily control it usingits web interface.
I did a cool linux command line util to switch the unit on/off, change dsp program, change volume, and inputs :cool::D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe a bit late to the game on this, but I'm controlling (and have been) my Z1 for years now. I will take a look at the protocols from the module I have, but I know that I just did one of the new A series Yamahas in the last six months and the serial protocols worked just fine.

I will dig up a few commands and post them here in the exact format they are sent out the door.

As is typical, their RS232 specification document sucks monkey's nuts and should be replaced with a giant turd so it is lest confusing and smells better. :D I have no idea how anyone can call themselves an engineer if they haven't figured out how to write in coherent English for the rest of the world to understand.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most of the commands appear to be ASCII, but the last command is a hard return/line feed which is sent as a HEX command. (\x0D\x0A)

System Power On:
0,1,*,PUT,System(Power_Control(Power=On)),*\x0D\x0A

System Power Off:
0,1,*,PUT,System(Power_Control(Power=Standby)),*\x0D\x0A

Main Zone On:
0,1,*,PUT,Main_Zone(Power_Control(Power=On)),*\x0D\x0A

Main Zone Off:
0,1,*,PUT,Main_Zone(Power_Control(Power=Standby)),*\x0D\x0A

It seems like your Power On command was bit-for-bit identical to what I know works, so if you are having issues, it must be in the communications configuration in some way.

Cabling must be a null modem cable between a standard controlling device (your PC) and the Yamaha serial connection.
Pintout:
2->3
3->2
5->5
7->8
8->7

9600, 8, N, 1 is the serial protocol settings. Which is pretty standard.

A

amir1234

Audiophyte
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for". Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis