Rotel RSX-1067 --> Bose Acoustimass LifeStyle Module

B

blacksquid

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,

I hope that I don't offend anyone one with these questions...

As some of you may know, I'm ~6-8 months away from my new house and my new home theater. I posted a query on the newbies/neophytes forum recently. Anyway, this weekend I went to Myer-Emco and found a great deal on a receiver that I just couldn't pass up. Someone had returned a Rotel RSX-1067 to upgrade to a Yamaha RX-Z9 and ME was selling the 1067 for $1400USD. Needless to say, when opportunity knocked and I threw the door wide open!

Now to my question, I was getting by with a Bose Lifestyle Model 5 and until I acquire my speaker system, I was going to attempt to connect the Bose speakers to the 1067. The cubes are no problem (previous comments on this forum regarding the use of Bose cubes considered) but I'm stumped on the Acoustimass module. Is there any way to connect the Acoustimass module to the sub out on the 1067? There are three connectors on the Bose cable to the Acoustimass module: two RCA connectors for left/right and a control plug which looks like a headphone jack.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BTW, the 1067 looks great and came with the original 5 year warranty.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, the Bose cubes have to be connected to the acousitmas module.

They will be blown if you hook them up to the reciever directly.

If the Bose system does not have a rca - speaker wire hook up them your hooped. The new reciever has an RCA sub out right?

What connections are there on the acoustimas module? Pics would be very helpful :)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
As far as I can tell there is no way to connect your set up to your receiver. Bose has used proprietary connectors to make it impossible to connect the acoustimass module to a regular receiver. Yet another reason I'm not a fan of the company, no expandability or upgradability. The only piece of equipment that your lifestyle product will work with is the "Music Center" cd player that is included with it. Sheep is very right, for the love of God do not plug those little cubes into that Rotel! That receiver is a BEAST and you got a great price on it. Congrats, that's the perfect way to start a HT in my opinion. If you were to turn the volume up to half I bet you could get those speakers to melt down in about 30 seconds. Without that "bass module" those speakers sound like utter crap, which I'm sure you're aware of so I think you'd be better off leaving that alone for now. I would like to make a little suggestion if you don't mind, throw the Bose on Ebay, set half the cash aside to use towards the New HT, and use half to pick up a pair of cheap stereo speakers and a cheap sub. With a budget of $200, I'm assuming that you get $400 on ebay, you could try out the BIC America DV62SIB, $111 @ ubid.com and an advent 12" sub for $99 from Amazon/parts express. Yeah I know it's $210, and with shipping it's closer to $250, give me a break, lol, I'm tired and this is all my mind is giving me right now. Once you hook those up to the receiver you will see just how much of Bose is sizzle and how much is steak. Good luck with the build, I know you'll enjoy it.

B

blacksquid

Audioholic Intern
Takeereasy said:
As far as I can tell there is no way to connect your set up to your receiver. Bose has used proprietary connectors to make it impossible to connect the acoustimass module to a regular receiver. Yet another reason I'm not a fan of the company, no expandability or upgradability. The only piece of equipment that your lifestyle product will work with is the "Music Center" cd player that is included with it. Sheep is very right, for the love of God do not plug those little cubes into that Rotel! That receiver is a BEAST and you got a great price on it. Congrats, that's the perfect way to start a HT in my opinion. If you were to turn the volume up to half I bet you could get those speakers to melt down in about 30 seconds. Without that "bass module" those speakers sound like utter crap, which I'm sure you're aware of so I think you'd be better off leaving that alone for now. I would like to make a little suggestion if you don't mind, throw the Bose on Ebay, set half the cash aside to use towards the New HT, and use half to pick up a pair of cheap stereo speakers and a cheap sub. With a budget of $200, I'm assuming that you get $400 on ebay, you could try out the BIC America DV62SIB, $111 @ ubid.com and an advent 12" sub for $99 from Amazon/parts express. Yeah I know it's $210, and with shipping it's closer to $250, give me a break, lol, I'm tired and this is all my mind is giving me right now. Once you hook those up to the receiver you will see just how much of Bose is sizzle and how much is steak. Good luck with the build, I know you'll enjoy it.
Hey, great idea about eBay! I've already got some cash stashed away in my PayPal account so this will just add to the kitty.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I did a little digging on Ebay, I found one set of the Lifestyle 5 in the completed section, they sold for $380. That is another selling point for Bose, the resell value is generally very high. People can chime in and say that thi is just due to Bose marketing, and it is, but in this case it will work in your favour, and that aint not bad. Again congrats on that Rotel, I looked up some stats and I've got to say I was very impressed. Nice pickup at a great price, about $700 off the MSRP. Being in the right spot at the right time is always a bonus. This conclusion to a review sums it up for me,
"To sum up anyone looking for a surround sound receiver should consider the Rotel RSX-1067, it is a tour-de-force in ergonomics, style and performance. Just in case you doubt my veracity, I can tell you that I am buying the review sample. Happy listening!"
-- Graham Hardy Ph.D. grahamhardy@cyber-rights.net

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 1067 is definitely a nice piece of gear that I certainly would not waste on Bose, even if it were just for the meantime. Put 'em up on ebay for sure. Congrats on the great find!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis