Room/Speaker  Acoustical Tuning

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>The best primers are right here at Audioholics and are the most balanced and unbiased, why would we need AVS or others to teach us that.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Some quotes from Richard Greene from the Rive's Room Acoustics Forum:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No audiophile I have ever met in 37+ years as an audiophile
has ever claimed to prefer a frequency response that measures flat.
. . . . . .
That's obvious in the Fletcher-Munson curves where 20Hz. is below the threshold of audibility until it reaches 70-75dB.

If the goal is a subjectively flat frequency response heard at the listening position, then there will need to be some bass ramp-up
and some treble roll-off. One bass ramp-up curve that works for me is C-weighting. That curve assumes that the average person will need a gradual bass frequency response ramp-up that leads to a boost of 6.2dB at 20Hz. Unless an audiophile has developed his own &quot;House Curve&quot; as a substitute, C-weighting is the best sound meter weighting curve to use for home listening rooms measurements at the seating position.

There is no logical reason to make an adjustment from C-weighting to
U-weighting unless you want to apply your own &quot;House Curve&quot; to the unweighted data.

Bass frequency response that measured flat with U-weighting (unweighted) would be somewhat difficult to hear below 50Hz.,
and especially difficult to hear below 30Hz. at typical average
home listening room SPL's of 75-85dB.

- Therefore, using the adjustment factors from C-weighting to
U-weighting is counterproductive UNLESS you have a unique
&quot;House Curve&quot; that you can apply to U-Weighted SPL data.

Parametric equalization with the goal of a flat frequency response measured using U-weighting will NOT create a subjectively flat bass frequency response when measured at the listening position in a typical home listening room at typical average SPL's. </td></tr></table></font>

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Guys,

not sure whether I'm posting in the right place, but here's my question tough:

does anybody knows if normal EPS (Styrofoam) boards offers any acoustic characteristics in special?

Regards, Chuck

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Anybody, please?

Guys,

does anybody knows if normal EPS (Styrofoam) boards offers any acoustic characteristics in special?

Regards, Chuck

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Guys,

Regards, Chuck
Anybody, please?
Styrofoam is characteristically special in that it pretty much does nothing. If it does anything at all, it will probably be just a particular subset of high frequencies. Otherwise, it's transparent AFAIK.

Look towards fiberglass or mineral wool. Fiberglass will be easier to work with. If looking to trap bass freq's too, make sure the panels or chunks are thick enough is all.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
as meat has already said the styrofoam style insulation is worthless when it comes to a acoustical applications

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Guys,

Regards, Chuck
AV Liner, if you are looking for the cheapest material that is highly effective, that will be rockwool board. Get between 4# and 8#. It's really cheap, and about as effective as any material can be. Use minimum 2" thick, and this will remove just about all acoustic reflections down to 250Hz, where it's mounted. 4" is effective down to roughly 100-125Hz with even effect, losing effectiveness gradually as you go under this range. Of course, with such low frequencies, the sound is completely omnipolar, and the wavelengths huge, so you need to have lots of surface area covered (and in the most strategic spots) to have an appreciable effect. Good thing the rockwool board is dirt cheap. :)

-Chris

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the tips Chris,

BTW, do you have an i-address where I can google in for the rockwool?

Regards, Chuck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis