Room Setup/Reflections HELP

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
So I was just playing around with my speakers...toe in, moving another foot apart, etc and the imaging went COMPLETELY different than what I was used to. I use various discs for setting up, but for imaging I like to use Autosound 2000: Disc 2 (Tracks 1-6; spec. tracks 5 & 6). I had the 7 snare drums pretty well lined up and they went across the stage like they should, but now (didn't change the TA or speaker levels) they pull HARD to the left and then jump over the right side. I'm obviously getting into some reflections due to having a wall (or more closed space) to the right of the FRONT RIGHT speaker, but to the left of the FRONT LEFT speaker is pretty much wide open.

When I add .5ft (about .45ms....obviously there are more variables than just that..) but when I add half a foot to the right speaker or take away half a foot from the left the imaging snaps back into place up front. Not as good as I've had it, but it's definitely focused up front. If I leave the FL and FR speakers the same distance then I feel like I can't pinpoint anything. Staging is all over the place it sounds more "up in your face" instead of the stage being where the speakers are and slightly behind them. Has anyone ran into this problem? I'm going to play around some more with different levels and distances and see what I find. It has to be some sort of reflection pulling it left. I might even try toe'ing them in more. Didn't think about that. If I could toe them in more and the imaging gets better, the problem is obvious and the reflection might be able to be better corrected instead of adding time delays and changing levels.

Here's the area I'm dealing with (don't judge me lol; Very bare in there! It's my apartment furniture.....still furniture shopping and looking to move the couch and tv stand ...and tv for that matter OUT):

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
So I found my problem......and I feel RIDICULOUSLY stupid :D

I have WAAY too much experience to do that...granted it was completely on accident, but it happened. It was funny and I knew something was wrong. I ran a few phase checks on my Alan Parsons disc and BAM. When he says "out of phase" it was definitely IN PHASE. No way! Could I have actually done that. So I get up to check trying to keep my ego in tact, but sure enough......when I put my Techflex/Sewell plugs on....I swapped polarity on that end. Everything is just lovely again lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis