K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm looking forward to discussing Home theater with all you guys. I hope you don't mind if I lay a little groundwork here.
I'm about to convert a room in my basement to a home theater and have been reading all I can find on the subject of acoustics and room dimensions.
I am not a novice where equipment is concerned, and I do have an understanding of a lot of things, just not all I need !
I already own most of the equipment I'll need to create a 7.1 system, all taken from my previous home. In that home, the living room shared many duties and everything was a compromise as I'm sure everyone is familiar with.
I'll be doing all the work myself, but although I can swing a hammer with the best of them, I want to do this right.

This is the first time I've had a room I can dedicate to Home theater, and I'm looking forward to spending this winter constructing it.
I know a lot of discussion has probably taken place on the intricacies of room design, so if there are threads I should see, please direct me.

The room I'll be using is in a poured concrete basement. It is 20'8" long, 12' wide and 7'10" high. The room is finished with drywall and carpet. One long wall and the back wall are concrete with 1/2" drywall attached. The other two walls are standard frame and drywall. The ceiling is 5/8" drywall, with 2x12 joists above.

My concerns involve retaining the noise within this room as there is a bedroom above, so I need to sound insulate the ceiling and walls. I'm not beyond rebuilding, even though the room is finished.
Another concern is that the room sound "right", preferably without spending a fortune on acoustic enhancements and room correction electronics.

This post is getting too long so although I could pose questions and thoughts all night, I'll stop now.

I look forward to reading anyones ideas.

Kiwi.

K

kiwiaudionut

Audioholic
Wow

Man, that "irritate guy" is over the top.
Thanks for your replies guys.
I spent a good part of yesterday reading all the FAQ's and have come up with a few conclusions.
One, I need to sound insulate the room, which according to one site means stripping off all my drywall and applying his sheet rubber product to the studs after packing with fibreglass batts, then drywalling.
Two, I need to spend upwards of $2000 on "Real Traps" acoustic absorption panels ! The real traps website does a great job of selling you on their product, but man are they expensive ! :(

I'd rather not do either of these things, but probably will anyway !!

I wonder if anyone tore down one of these traps and discovered whats in there !
Has anyone built their own absorption and/or diffusion panels? and more importantly - tested them to assure they work ?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, that "irritate guy" is over the top.
Thanks for your replies guys.
I spent a good part of yesterday reading all the FAQ's and have come up with a few conclusions.
One, I need to sound insulate the room, which according to one site means stripping off all my drywall and applying his sheet rubber product to the studs after packing with fibreglass batts, then drywalling.
Two, I need to spend upwards of $2000 on "Real Traps" acoustic absorption panels ! The real traps website does a great job of selling you on their product, but man are they expensive ! :(

I'd rather not do either of these things, but probably will anyway !!

I wonder if anyone tore down one of these traps and discovered whats in there !
Has anyone built their own absorption and/or diffusion panels? and more importantly - tested them to assure they work ?

Have they ever. I got into a discussion with one fellow about acoustics only to have him referance some reading material that was not only over my head but like a really long read. I am look into blowing insulation into my walls. Home Depot rents the machine for around $50 for a day. There is fiber glass and some "green" product (cellulose?). I've yet to find out how they compare as far as sound attenuation is concerned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis