room dampening for dummies...

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well my room I rent (part of a larger apartment) is in dire need of some acoustic work.  I can't re-locate my system though due to space contraints, so the bad positioning is where it will stay.

8'x10' room  whatever weird walling was used in your typical 1906 house, carpeted floors over hardwood, wooden false ceiling. everything is quite heavy in there and seems to be acoustically acceptible for the time being, except the closet...

--EDIT__removed lousy ASCII diagram that didn't work anyways--

I'm trying to have something done that can be easily removed when i move out so as to be able to get my deposit back whenever I move out.  I'm mostly worried about the flimsy wood resonating, and the side effects of the corner loaded woofer.  If I have to do minor things to teh back wall and door I don't really mind, as long as I can undo it without damaging anything.

Thanks,

--Steve</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>hmm, the board system did not like my ascii diagram, i'll post again with a pic link later this week.</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Here we go, a link to my room_layout.

Here's an index to the numbered parts, even though I'm only worried about the closet for now, however any input would be appreciated about anything else that could be fixed.

Note that the closet is made of 1/8&quot; plywood, and is rather flimsy. It also is built into the wall and cannot be removed.
The rest of the apt is fairly bright, wooden flase ceiling tiles, whatever kind of walling a 1906 building would have, that weird not sheetrock/not concrete kind of walling, and the floor was once hardwood, but has been carpeted over since.

1) closet
2) my stereo
3) door
4) bookshelf
5) computer desk, with a smaller sound system as well.
Ugly unlabeled roundish thing is my computer chair

6) bedstand
7) bed

Here's the link to the pic, silly yahoo won't let me link it in a way the these boards like. it's room_layout

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sfoley@sbcglobal.net/lst?.dir=/

--Edited to add a few notes that I forgot were removed from the first post when something went awry and didnt like the ASCII diagram I tried to place in it.--</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis